Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Drop due to Account activity

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score Drop due to Account activity

So at the end of January, I paid off all but about 2 of my credit accounts.

After a few months, I didn't want to chance any being closed due to inactivity, so I charged small balances and then immediately paid them off.

Apparently, not quick enough because one of them got reported to Equifax has having activity (per myFico credit alerts) a couple days ago. The alert was "an account previously inactive for 3 months is now showing activity". Then today, my Equifax score dropped 21 points. The reason given "recent missed payment (not likely) or derogatory item on my credit report".

Can charging a small amount to show activity on a card result in that much of a score drop, or is it possible there is something else that  newly got added to my report and I should do a pull now to check?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Score Drop due to Account activity

@Anonymous wrote:

So at the end of January, I paid off all but about 2 of my credit accounts.

After a few months, I didn't want to chance any being closed due to inactivity, so I charged small balances and then immediately paid them off.

Apparently, not quick enough because one of them got reported to Equifax has having activity (per myFico credit alerts) a couple days ago. The alert was "an account previously inactive for 3 months is now showing activity". Then today, my Equifax score dropped 21 points. The reason given "recent missed payment (not likely) or derogatory item on my credit report".

Can charging a small amount to show activity on a card result in that much of a score drop, or is it possible there is something else that  newly got added to my report and I should do a pull now to check?

not just after that short amount of time i would think, and not for using your cards again. I would pull your reports just to make sure nothing fishy is going on, and make sure noone has report a late payment or derog.

Message 2 of 7
Scupra
Super Contributor

Sounds like something else happened. Simply using your card, unless a large balance reports, won't hurt your score.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 3 of 7
CraigHwk
Regular Contributor

I recently used a card that was unused for 10 months and got the same alert.  My score went up two points though.  

USAA MC ✪ Amex BCP, SPG, Platinum ✪ Chase Sapphire Preferred, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Marriott Rewards, United Explorer ✪ Discover IT ✪ CapOne QS ✪ Fidelity Visa ✪ BarclaysPlatinum Rewards ✪ Citi Double Cash

Starting EX FICO (2010): 513 | Current FICO: EX 759, EQ: 773, TU: 761
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I will pull and check.

Message 5 of 7
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Yeah sounds like a derogatory mark hit. I have had the same alert on inactive accounts no point drop.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Found it. Some bogus chargeoff account. Will be disputing shortly.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.