Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score # needed for best rates on CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score # needed for best rates on CC?

In general... what kind of scores should I be shooting for if i want to get the lowest rate offered on a particular card? Is 750+ good enough?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Score # needed for best rates on CC?

I would think with a 750 you would qualify for all the best rates but as usual, every credit profile is different. I only wish i had a 750Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 18
thom02099
Valued Contributor

At the top of the screen on this page, the advert says 720-850 is excellent. Generally speaking, that's true.  The best rates can also be found north of 740.  For some lenders it's 750, and for others it's 760.  Again, generally, if you're over 740, you're likely to get the best rates offered.  There is no hard and fast rule, just generalities.  

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was wondering about this too! Thanks for the replies everyone!

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I'm in the 735ish range right now (average of the 3, Fico8). I'll wait until all 3 are solid over 750 until I apply for any more cards. Shouldn't be too much longer. A few more payments on some cards will get me under that golden 9% utilization.

Message 5 of 18
newhis
Valued Contributor

My DW has over 760 and Citi page offer her the best APR, but Cap1 only the middle APR not the best. So they have other measure points not just the score.

Message 6 of 18
kdm31091
Super Contributor

As with everything it's not just about score. APR is assigned based on your percieved risk level. For example, you can have a high score, but many new accounts. In this situation you can be percieved as a risk and get a higher APR.

Generally speaking of course higher score will get a lower APR, but it's not that simple, and there's no cutoff number to say x score gets y APR.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK. Thank you.

Message 8 of 18
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Like others have said, it is more than just score, but the higher the better. For instance, I applied for a Barclay Sallie Mae with an almost 800 score, but got a rate of 21.99%. The issue was that it was that I had quite a few inquiries on my report already that were recent. My guess is that spooked the computer a bit. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In general... what kind of scores should I be shooting for if i want to get the lowest rate offered on a particular card? Is 750+ good enough?

My credit union loan officer said their "A+" rates were for people who have a score of 720 or higher. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.