cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score of 611- which card

tag
Chance05

Score of 611- which card

What would be my best bet to get approved for a credit card with a score of 611?  I was looking at Capitol one but heard that discover is a better choice with a lower score?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

Re: Score of 611- which card

Get a secured card from a local bank or credit union, put a deposit down and that will help you with your credit history so you can get great cards. 

Message 2 of 15
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Depending on the rest of your history you might not get the Discover.  I apped at around a 640 and was denied, tried again in the 660's and got it.  YMMV here.

Message 3 of 15
Chance05

I don't have much of a history. Never had a credit card...I'm just now trying to build up my credit. 

Message 4 of 15
baller4life
Super Contributor

@killer_queen229 wrote:

Get a secured card from a local bank or credit union, put a deposit down and that will help you with your credit history so you can get great cards. 

+1

Bank of America has a great secured card that graduates. Try not to waste inquiries right now with your score being on the low end. 

Message 5 of 15
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

+1

Bank of America has a great secured card that graduates. Try not to waste inquiries right now with your score being on the low end. 

Smiley Happy Couldn't even get a Discover card after having my secured card for 4 months. 

Message 6 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Chance05 wrote:

What would be my best bet to get approved for a credit card with a score of 611?  I was looking at Capitol one but heard that discover is a better choice with a lower score?

If you have no credit cards, what is on your report to give you the score?

from where did you get the score?

Message 7 of 15
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

I'd try for a Capital One unsecured personally.  They have a rewards card for building credit, it gives you an auto CLI after 6 months of ontime payments.  It was a decent card when I was trying to rebuild credit.  If you don't get it you can always recon thru Cap1 EO and more than likely get something (even $500 isn't a bad start).  Its worth a try, and while your at it maybe run your info through a few pre-qualified websites (discover, cap1, Barclay, chase, citi).  Obviously some of them wont have anything just yet but it'll give you an idea of where you're at. 

Message 8 of 15
Chance05

I checked credit karma for my score. I have student loans and a car payment on my credit. 

Message 9 of 15
Chance05

I just got approved for a Capitol One card!  I have a new question... If I add my husband as a authorized user will the credit card be reported to his credit as well?

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.