Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score went up with 2 new cards add!

tag
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

Score went up with 2 new cards add!

I pulled my TU expecting it to take a hit from the two new cards being added. But was pleasantly surprised to see the it had gone up 15 points. What would make that happen? One card was a Best Buy store card (370/3600) and the other was a Amex gold. Does having the Amex charge card help scoring? Also just to let any one know that gets a Best Buy card ask for cli on activation. They only gave me 600 more but i will take it. Thanks 

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
pattycake
Established Contributor

Re: Score went up with 2 new cards add!

What are your current FICOs?  Sometimes you will get an add, sometimes not.  I added two cards and $20k in avail credit and my TU dropped six points.  But, my EQ rose by 34. 
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 2 of 14
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

My TU went from 730 up to 745. 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Crosby - congratulations on your two shiny new cards!  What was your utilization before and after the cards hit your CR?
Message 4 of 14
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

@crosbyk1 wrote:
I pulled my TU expecting it to take a hit from the two new cards being added. But was pleasantly surprised to see the it had gone up 15 points. What would make that happen? One card was a Best Buy store card (370/3600) and the other was a Amex gold. Does having the Amex charge card help scoring? Also just to let any one know that gets a Best Buy card ask for cli on activation. They only gave me 600 more but i will take it. Thanks 

I just picked up 43k in 3 new credit cards. It would be sweet if that happens to me too.

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 5 of 14
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

Thanks... My utilization went from 9% down to 8%. Is that what did it a 1% change gave me 15 points?

Message 6 of 14
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

You may see a FICO increase when new cards begin to report if you:

1) Have a very low number of reporting revolving TL's (up to three or so), or

2) Carry revolving balances and thereby reduce your UTIL %.

Message 7 of 14
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@crosbyk1 wrote:
Thanks... My utilization went from 9% down to 8%. Is that what did it a 1% change gave me 15 points?

That's part of the 15 points, but maybe not all. The rest could have been achieved by things aging.

Do you have any derog's on your CBR's?

Message 8 of 14
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

I have never had any derog's and my reports are very clean. Maybe it was the age of a account that updated. 

Message 9 of 14
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

With no derog's you are in a positive scoring bucket. Positive bucket scoring changes seem to be more sensitive to UTIL % fluctuations than negative bucket scoring changes are. (I hope that makes sense...)
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.