Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scoring: store card vs credit card

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Scoring: store card vs credit card

I was wondering, for FICO scoring purposes, are store cards (I.e. Kohl's which I may try to get next year after I garden) weighted differently from regular credit cards for your score?

I want to say I hear that having one store card can be good as it helps the "types of accounts" portion of your score. I have no installment loans so just curious if it would help me raise my scores to diversify with a store card.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Scoring: store card vs credit card

It is considered consumer financing, or charge account. Note the old les schwab in my signature. It is considered charge account, not charge card. The back side of fico puts charge accounts in a lowers scoring bucket than credit cards. Too many (like two Smiley Wink) will hinder your score.

They are considered revolvers also, and will not change the mix of credit part of scoring. For that, I started an installment loan with my credit union, 500 for 48 months, 11.12 monthly payment (so as not to hurt DTI). It still gives fico reason of installment loan balance to high, but by second month (since it's my only installment account) already seeing dividends to score padding. The apr's for secured loans are about the same as excellent credit for auto and home.

I am going to open another savings account (already have two plus one brokerage account), with alliant credit union. They have great rates, and when this loan is 6 months away from being paid off, open another one with them.

Hope that helps.
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 13
elim
Senior Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
It is considered consumer financing, or charge account. Note the old les schwab in my signature. It is considered charge account, not charge card. The back side of fico puts charge accounts in a lowers scoring bucket than credit cards. Too many (like two Smiley Wink) will hinder your score.

They are considered revolvers also, and will not change the mix of credit part of scoring. For that, I started an installment loan with my credit union, 500 for 48 months, 11.12 monthly payment (so as not to hurt DTI). It still gives fico reason of installment loan balance to high, but by second month (since it's my only installment account) already seeing dividends to score padding. The apr's for secured loans are about the same as excellent credit for auto and home.

I am going to open another savings account (already have two plus one brokerage account), with alliant credit union. They have great rates, and when this loan is 6 months away from being paid off, open another one with them.

Hope that helps.

hrmmmmmm...

I too have an installment loan through my CU. Both Auto Loans on my files are closed in good standing. So i guess my question is...

Auto Loan vs Installment Loan???

I'm thinking of adding a new car this year, will it add to mix even if i have an installment loan reporting???

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Hope that helps.

Agreed.

Message 4 of 13
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@elim wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Hope that helps.

hrmmmmmm...

I too have an installment loan through my CU. Both Auto Loans on my files are closed in good standing. So i guess my question is...

I'm thinking of adding a new car this year, will it add to mix even if i have an installment loan reporting???

It will add, but one can substitute mortgages, auto loans, and regular bank loans also.  In your case, should be sitting pretty.  I don't want to buy a car(yet), and too old to consider a mortgage, so secured installment loans give me that kick.

Signature needs updating
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

Auto loans and installment loans are considere the same for FICO scoring.

Adding installment loans has a diminishing return.  Most people say 2 is the most bang for the buck while 3 installment loans will give you a boost but less so.

As for the Kohl's card, it's one of the greatest store cards out there due to the exclusive member discounts they give you just because.

Kohl's right now has a 30% off promo for cardholders code: NEWYEAR30

Plus free shipping code: SHIPPINGMVC

It's STOREWIDE; flat 30% off everything just because you have a Kohls card

With 30% off and free shipping, I basically saved 33% on my Kohl's purchase while others are raving about getting 5% back from Sallie Mae.  

To each his own Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@elim wrote:

Auto loans and installment loans are considere the same for FICO scoring.

Adding installment loans has a diminishing return.  Most people say 2 is the most bang for the buck while 3 installment loans will give you a boost but less so.

As for the Kohl's card, it's one of the greatest store cards out there due to the exclusive member discounts they give you just because.

Kohl's right now has a 30% off promo for cardholders code: NEWYEAR30

Plus free shipping code: SHIPPINGMVC

It's STOREWIDE; flat 30% off everything just because you have a Kohls card

I basically saved 33% on my Kohl's purchase while others are raving about getting 5% back from Sallie Mae.  

To each his own Smiley Very Happy

Yeah but Kohls pulls EX.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah but Kohls pulls EX.

True, I'm stuck with that sucka for 2 years.  On a sidenote, I'm finally seeing some housecleaning on EQ, quite happy bout that Smiley Wink

i don't agree with wasting an EX on some cheapo store card but both Kohls and 30% + free shipping is hard to resist.  

And they do this 30% off like 2-3 times a year.  I bought a mini-fridge and a knife set since mines were old.  

Saved like $200 with free ship.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah but Kohls pulls EX.

True, I'm stuck with that sucka for 2 years.  On a sidenote, I'm finally seeing some housecleaning on EQ, quite happy bout that Smiley Wink

i don't agree with wasting an EX on some cheapo store card but both Kohls and 30% + free shipping is hard to resist.  

And they do this 30% off like 2-3 times a year.  I bought a mini-fridge and a knife set since mines were old.  

Saved like $200 with free ship.

Hehe... Smiley Happy

Yeah, i've seen some stuff at kohl's that I like, but they send us their ad's all the time with 20% coupons.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

For that, I started an installment loan with my credit union, 500 for 48 months, 11.12 monthly payment (so as not to hurt DTI).

I did the same thing with one of my banks, only it's $2K for 24 months. It's an interest only loan, so the payment shows as $5 in my file. But I did an amortization schedule for the 24 month period and pay it at $89.02 a month.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.