Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sears MC / Store

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Sears MC / Store

I was denied in store for Sears MC with no pre-approval for Barclay Sears MC

Anyone know if I now apply for the Sears store card what chances of approval are... lady from citi seemed to think they would use same credit pull they already did (just seems really stupid to me that they don't counter store instead of try to counter a different bank!)

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Sears MC / Store

I actually work at sears. Yeah i think its stupid we dont counter offer, but that might be the because the store and cashier gets paid for every app. Approved or denied. Barclays will occasionally offer. Sometimes its with a AF. As for the same pull. No it is seperate pulls. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

I actually work at sears. Yeah i think its stupid we dont counter offer, but that might be the because the store and cashier gets paid for every app. Approved or denied. Barclays will occasionally offer. Sometimes its with a AF. As for the same pull. No it is seperate pulls. 

is it worth applying for just store now that im home? the rep on the phone at citi said it was easier to get approved but had no other info for me... when I walked back in the store a different sales associate that I started talking to suggested I NOT apply if I was denied MC and not counter Barclay either because store card would most likely be denied too.

they also pulled EQ which I was slightly surprised by and not totally surprised for denial even more so than any other because EQ sucks!

Message 3 of 14
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

is it worth applying for just store now that im home? the rep on the phone at citi said it was easier to get approved but had no other info for me... when I walked back in the store a different sales associate that I started talking to suggested I NOT apply if I was denied MC and not counter Barclay either because store card would most likely be denied too.

they also pulled EQ which I was slightly surprised by and not totally surprised for denial even more so than any other because EQ sucks!

The store card is easier. Im surprised the sales associate would say that considering they make commision per app. Its also the card we suggest if denied for the MC. Some people get denied for the MC but still approved for the store because its criteria is easier. However if you would prefer not to waste the gas i would suggest staying home. Otherwise you can try. BTW if the cashier needs to call in the app. Its usually a good sign most of the time. Its generally just information verifying, i have heard of customers being asked the question of which home do you own or which address is yours etc..

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 4 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

The store card is easier. Im surprised the sales associate would say that considering they make commision per app. Its also the card we suggest if denied for the MC. Some people get denied for the MC but still approved for the store because its criteria is easier. However if you would prefer not to waste the gas i would suggest staying home. Otherwise you can try. BTW if the cashier needs to call in the app. Its usually a good sign most of the time. Its generally just information verifying, i have heard of customers being asked the question of which home do you own or which address is yours etc..

Your application has been received, but further processing is required at this time. We will contact you within 2 weeks by US mail regarding our decision.

Message 5 of 14
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

Your application has been received, but further processing is required at this time. We will contact you within 2 weeks by US mail regarding our decision.

Its denied then Smiley Sad but you can call the number on the little receipt given from the cashier and ask for a recon or the reasons. Btw are you trying to compete with Ron? Of which im not really sure who Ron is. Smiley Sad Smiley Embarassed Just know Ron occasionally chimes in.

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 6 of 14
jim44
Established Contributor

CA,  I applied for the store card a couple years back and was denied and offered a MC. It was backed by HSBC at the time and then was converted to Orchard Bank and finally Capital One.It was either with Orchard or C1 when the card stopped being a Sears Rewards MC This card changes bank backers like leaves change in the Fall. Seems to me it defeats the whole purpose as the original card was like BB and offered promotional financing.

I had a Sears card in the 90's which Citi automatically converted  to a Sears MC and raised my CL to 8k.... That card really sucked but then again that was before the credit card laws went into effect. Sears MC or store card today... who knows maybe converts to a  XXXX Bank Platinum card in a year from now.

Message 7 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@jim44 wrote:

CA,  I applied for the store card a couple years back and was denied and offered a MC. It was backed by HSBC at the time and then was converted to Orchard Bank and finally Capital One.It was either with Orchard or C1 when the card stopped being a Sears Rewards MC This card changes bank backers like leaves change in the Fall. Seems to me it defeats the whole purpose as the original card was like BB and offered promotional financing.

I had a Sears card in the 90's which Citi automatically converted  to a Sears MC and raised my CL to 8k.... That card really sucked but then again that was before the credit card laws went into effect. Sears MC or store card today... who knows maybe converts to a  XXXX Bank Platinum card in a year from now.

yes I use to have that Orchard Bank MC sears card years and years ago and closed it.

oh well.

Message 8 of 14
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@jim44 wrote:

Yeah HSBC was offered if Citi couldnt approve. Now we switched to Barclays instead of HSBC, of which like you stated those HSBC cards went into Orchard. As for the credit laws, yeah before that we used to approve for limits of 30+k on average. Now its 6k average approval. What sucked about the Orchard cards is that if people wanted to pay their bill in store they could not do Orchard only: Discover, Sears MC or in Store and now Barclays.

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 9 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Sears MC / Store - UPDATE (1 Pull)

So at least the phone rep was right and for the store employee that posted:

I applied for Sears MasterCard and was declined and not offered the pre-approval for Sears MasterCard with Barclay

I then applied for the Sears store card and I was denied BUT they used the same pull and report they had just pulled for my MasterCard app because it was done same day!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.