Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sears Mastercard 5/3/2/1 offer extended beyond 1st year

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sears Mastercard 5/3/2/1 offer extended beyond 1st year

I know a few months ago many people were wondering if after the first year Sears would extend the point offer on the Shop Your Way Mastercard.

For me, they have extended the points back offer for an additional year so I will continue to earn 5% at Gas Stations 3% at Grocery/Resturants and 2% at Sears/Kmart and 1% elsewhere.

This card is my go-to for the 5% on gas when Discover is not offering gas. It is also my go-to grocery card.

I think this card's rewards is one thing Sears did an awesome job creating. It is hard to believe a store co-brand is my go-to card!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sears Mastercard 5/3/2/1 offer extended beyond 1st year

The Sears MC is a bright spot for Sears in terms of making it $

Message 2 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymouswrote:

I know a few months ago many people were wondering if after the first year Sears would extend the point offer on the Shop Your Way Mastercard.

For me, they have extended the points back offer for an additional year so I will continue to earn 5% at Gas Stations 3% at Grocery/Resturants and 2% at Sears/Kmart and 1% elsewhere.

This card is my go-to for the 5% on gas when Discover is not offering gas. It is also my go-to grocery card.

I think this card's rewards is one thing Sears did an awesome job creating. It is hard to believe a store co-brand is my go-to card!

Thanks for sharing... if/when I take a look at store cards again, Sears will be at the top of my list.  Smiley Wink

Once-in-a-blue-moon a retailer will hit a home run with their credit card... for a couple of years, the Sam's Club MasterCard was my go-to for the majority of my monthly purchases.  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does that card only give you "shop your way" points, or is it possible to redeem for cash back/statement credit? Also do the 10% offers still come around? I was thinking about this card but from what little I could discern it seems the card went full Shop Your Way and lost a lot of its value...maybe I'm wrong.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
Does that card only give you "shop your way" points, or is it possible to redeem for cash back/statement credit? Also do the 10% offers still come around? I was thinking about this card but from what little I could discern it seems the card went full Shop Your Way and lost a lot of its value...maybe I'm wrong.

I only get shop your way points to redeem at Sears/Kmart. Which I do not mind because 35pks of bottled water is cheapest there.

I haven't ever gotten any 10% offers so someone else will have to answer that question.

Message 5 of 10
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

I only get shop your way points to redeem at Sears/Kmart. Which I do not mind because 35pks of bottled water is cheapest there.

I haven't ever gotten any 10% offers so someone else will have to answer that question.

The targeted offers are now 10x TYP plus the normal 1 TYP/dollar reward if you meet the spend thresholds for the promo. 

I got one for each of the last 5 quarters but none this quarter. I did get one a few weeks ago for IIRC meeting $500 spend between March1-April 30.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion ok great, so my understanding is there's a version of this card that earns TYP and a version that earns SYW points - is that accurate? And that the SYW version is the only one that's still available to apply for...is that also accurate? The TYP version sounds pretty legit tbh but SYW...idk so much.

Cheap packs of water is cool but I mean I have a filter under my kitchen sink so I'm good on that haha.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found this interesting if not peculiar page on Citi's site that seems to talk about enrolling your Sears CC (I assume MC, the non-store card) in the TYP program:

https://www.thankyou.com/sears-TC-en.jspx?cmp=NAV&LID#tab-agreement-definitions-accounts

Can anyone explain or elaborate on this? Specifically, if I were to walk into Sears and open a MC account now, I expect to get the SYW card. The page I linked seems to suggest that this card can be enrolled in the TYP program and thus begin earning TYP in lieu of SYW points? I dunno, I mean I assumed it was a different version of the card or something but...some insight here would be greatly appreciated.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
I found this interesting if not peculiar page on Citi's site that seems to talk about enrolling your Sears CC (I assume MC, the non-store card) in the TYP program:

https://www.thankyou.com/sears-TC-en.jspx?cmp=NAV&LID#tab-agreement-definitions-accounts

Can anyone explain or elaborate on this? Specifically, if I were to walk into Sears and open a MC account now, I expect to get the SYW card. The page I linked seems to suggest that this card can be enrolled in the TYP program and thus begin earning TYP in lieu of SYW points? I dunno, I mean I assumed it was a different version of the card or something but...some insight here would be greatly appreciated.

On the Sears credit card site, they list the store card and the mastercard. The mastercard version says Shop your Way, so I assume that it only offers SYW points. From what I remember, only the mastercard version offered the TYP program. I researched it a little, and you may be able to switch over to the TYP version; if you get the mastercard. According to Doctor of Credit, you'll need to send a secure message to make the switch.

Sears Credit card Site

Doctor of Credit

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sheesh, why are all of Citi's attractive cards surrounded by a minefield of loopholes? Dividend, Prestige (especially for the $350 fee), Sears MC...
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.