Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sears Mastercard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sears Mastercard

Historically, and as recent as 9 months ago, I have been unable to get a Sears Card because Citibank doesn't like me (I took them down with me in a Chapter 13 almost 16 years ago), but Ive wanted one to use for their financing specials on home appliances.  So yesterday I was in the store and was making a purchase for $30.  The clerk convinced me to apply in the store for  a Sears Card and would give me $15.00 off my purchase if I was approved.  I went for it and was approved for a Sears Mastercard with a $6,000 limit.  Now, I don't much about these cards, obviously, so I have no idea if I got a good offer or not?  And, I was figuring that the app would get kiced out to HSBC for the Sears Solutions Card, but I don't think it did?  The temporary shopping pass jsut says Sears Mastercard, limit $6,000.  Does that mean Citi accepted the application?  I can't imagine Citi has decided to forgive my past transgressions, but maybe so.

Thanks for your help, Im somewhat ignorant on the Sears cards, as you can probably tell.

Oh, and FYI... my FICO scores all in the neighborhood of 726 - 768 now, depending on which bureau is pulled.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
way2evil
New Contributor

Re: Sears Mastercard

If you only signed one piece of paper then you have the Citi MC. If the clerk made you sign a purple paper then you have HSBC. If all your receipt says is Sears Mastercard then its Citi, the HSBC goes into detail with limit, rates, and other info.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your input.

I only signed one basic application for the Sears card (the standard Sears Mastercard application) and it was white.  Nothing purple at all.  I input my SSN and annual income on the little screen when she asked me to, then she verified my identify with my drivers license.   The temporary shopping pass I got says:  Sears Mastercard, Credit Limit $6,000, then gives me two interest rates (one for purchases and one for cash advances).  That's it.

is that Citi?

Message 3 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

With a $6K limit, I would think so.

The HSBC version is for those who don't qualify for the Citi version. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but that's basically the difference.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 7
laz98
Senior Contributor

citi backs our sears card, & it's not a mastercard.  aren't there 2 versions, or are they shutting one down?

Message 5 of 7
DI
Super Contributor

I closed my Citi backed Sears card.  You know it's time to close an account when a competitor offers 5% cashback shopping at Sears when Sears doesn't do it for its own card. 

Message 6 of 7
jefftca925
Established Contributor

I was just approved last weekend for a Sears MC (Citi) for 9k AND receieved 12 mos. 0% financing and an extra 5% off.  Not a bad deal and I do like their appliances, lawn and garden, and tools selection.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.