Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sears denied CLI

tag
mindacid
Valued Member

Sears denied CLI

I just got denied a CLI by Sears store card over the phone.  I opened my account in July 2010 with a CL of $250, which is where I am now.  I understand my card is of the Citibank S.D. variety.  I've used it occasionally and other than my initial purchase for $187 I've never paid late and never had a statement balance over $50.   Are these guys just very tight with CLIs?  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sears denied CLI

Welcome to the forum!

IMO Cti isn't very strict about giving CLI but you never know in this economy.

Message 2 of 6
DI
Super Contributor

Did they do a hard credit inquiry?  I've had my Sears store card since September 2009.  It has a $3600 CL.  But since its a store card, I don't ask for CLIs. 

Message 3 of 6
mindacid
Valued Member

I'm not sure if they did a hard pull to be honest.   I didn't think to ask at the time whether it would be hard, soft or otherwise.  I'll have to check tomorrow.

I understand what you mean by it "just" being a store card, but my take on store cards is that they are a good means of getting good discounts offered to cardholders only.  You do end up saving a bundle.  

Message 4 of 6
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

I also have a Sears Credit Card that was issued by Citibank.

However, my Sears card is just not only a store card, but a MasterCard as well and can be used anywhere that accepts MasterCards.

As a suggestion, wait until you have the card for a year and request a credit line increase.

Request to speak with a Supervisor and inform them that a $250.00 credit limit is not worth keeping the card and that you are requesting at least a $1,000.00 credit limit.

If they again deny your request, inform them that you have no other choice but to close the account.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 6
mindacid
Valued Member

Thanks for the advice.  Until I wait a year's time to ask for a CLI again, is it of any benefit to charge something on it every now and then, for the sake of showing that I use it?  It seems like hassle to do it.  I'm annoyed at them and just feel like sticking it in a drawer.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.