Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sears retail to Mastercard

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

Sears retail to Mastercard

My Dear Wifey has a Sears retail card with an useless limit of 250.  I am an AU on it, and it is one of the oldest open cards on either of our reports.  We use it faithfully at least once a year for something small, for example a few months ago we bought a blender and paid in full immediately after the statement cut.  

I would love to see a higher limit on this...  But we don't want a bunch of crap from Sears or Kmart, and sure don't need a hard pull.

I see that they are going to a Citibank Mastercard version for some users.  Does anyone know how I might nudge this along for us?  Will they do it on request, or do we need to conform to some model of use pattern and credit profile?  

Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
patrick00032001
Regular Contributor

Re: Sears retail to Mastercard

If you want the Mastercard, you will need to apply for that in store, if you want a credit limit increase you will need to call in for one or you can request it online, I have saw mixed reports on here about a soft and hard pulls regarding the Sears card, so I cant really tell you which it would be for certain Man Indifferent

Discover IT $32,500, Chase Freedom $1,000.00, Sears Mastercard $10,000, Wal-Mart DC $10,000.00, Kohl's $3,000.00, Chase Slate $52,000.00, 3 Rivers FCU Platinum Mastercard $25,000.00, IU Credit Union $25,000.00, Penfed LOC $25,000.00, Fort Financial CU $15,000.00, Home Depot $22,000.00, Lowe's $20,000.00, Penfed Power Cash Rewards $25,000.00, PenFed Travel Amex $25,000.00, Value City Furniture $10,000.00, PNC Points Visa Signature $15,000.00, GM Buy Power card $5,000.00, BOA 123 Visa Siggy, $62,000.00, Citi DC $15,000.00, GM Extended Family $3,000.00, Fire, Police, City, County, FCU $10,000.00, TU 791, Eq 765, Exp 772

Message 2 of 10
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Why hasnt she asked for a CLI? My mom and dad have the Sears Mastercard and have gone from $4000 to $8000 and $2,100 to $4000 Its a SP. Unlike annoying Best Buy.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 3 of 10
Jbb2788
Regular Contributor

I received a notice in the mail that Citi was auto PC'ing me from the retail version to the MC. I recommend going online and requesting the new card through the online message center. If that is a no go I'd request a CLI and try for the MC version again in a few months. 

**10/31/13
EX-650
EQ-660
TU-660
GOAL: 750 ACROSS THE BOARD
Last App: 10/13
Gardening Until: 4/14 (At least)
Message 4 of 10
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I actually work for Sears, and as for the In Store Card it is seperate from the mastercard. When applying you have the choice between the 2 of which the in store is easier and gives you $10 off vs the mastercard of $15 off. You could apply for the mastercard, but the APR is high on it if you dont pay it off right away or leave a balance. You wont get a bunch of crap in the mail from them. I have never heard of someone PC from in store to MC with sears before though.

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 5 of 10
p-
Valued Contributor

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

Why hasnt she asked for a CLI? My mom and dad have the Sears Mastercard and have gone from $4000 to $8000 and $2,100 to $4000 Its a SP. Unlike annoying Best Buy.

Interesting.  When I talked to the phone rep, they said it would be a hard pull so I declined.  That was a while ago, though, so they may be doing it differently now... or perhaps the store card is different.  The last thing we're going to do is apply for a Sears branded Mastercard...  We're both pretty happy with the number and type of cards we have right now and are gardening.  The only value it would have to us is if it was a PC to a MC with the old history and no inquiry.  Then we could push some spending through it and get the limit up.

How long ago did you get the auto PC?

Message 6 of 10
hajew86
New Contributor

@p- wrote:

Interesting.  When I talked to the phone rep, they said it would be a hard pull so I declined.  That was a while ago, though, so they may be doing it differently now... or perhaps the store card is different.  The last thing we're going to do is apply for a Sears branded Mastercard...  We're both pretty happy with the number and type of cards we have right now and are gardening.  The only value it would have to us is if it was a PC to a MC with the old history and no inquiry.  Then we could push some spending through it and get the limit up.

I just called in last week to find out what the process is for a CLI. The nice rep told me they actually do their own internal review twice a year. The first being around April/May and the second being around Sep/Oct of each year. They soft pull your current credit situation and in addition to that they see how much you've spent with them, on time payments, etc. At that point they either give you a auto CLI or not based upon all that info. The MasterCard CC is definitely a HP when you apply in store. BTW, Have any of guys ever tried Sears Outlet?? It's incredible. Got my my badass fridge that was usually around 2K for only $800 because it had a scratch on the side that no one can see. Awesome deal! I'll be getting my washer/dryer combo later this summer too.

Message 7 of 10
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

@p- wrote:

Ok yes not sure if its the same for the store card, but its a forsure with the MC they always request cli and are always a SP.  My parents got the MC when they applied back in 2005 and 2008. The rewards arent that great compared to your current credit cards, (not missing out as you already may know), You could request a cli on a day you decide to step out of the garden for a card and go for the sears cli  while your at it.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Message 8 of 10
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

@hajew86 wrote:

@p- wrote:

I just called in last week to find out what the process is for a CLI. The nice rep told me they actually do their own internal review twice a year. The first being around April/May and the second being around Sep/Oct of each year. They soft pull your current credit situation and in addition to that they see how much you've spent with them, on time payments, etc. At that point they either give you a auto CLI or not based upon all that info. The MasterCard CC is definitely a HP when you apply in store. BTW, Have any of guys ever tried Sears Outlet?? It's incredible. Got my my badass fridge that was usually around 2K for only $800 because it had a scratch on the side that no one can see. Awesome deal! I'll be getting my washer/dryer combo later this summer too.

The nearest sears outlet is pretty far from home and wow now that was a bargain!

Message 9 of 10
p-
Valued Contributor

Hmm.  Lots of good information about how to get a CLI on the Mastercard which I don't have...  Anybody have advice on how to Graduate the card from a retail only to MC?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.