New Contributor
Laura2323

Second American Express Card Help

I recently obtained a Zync American Express and was successful in backdating the card to 1991.  I have opened quite a few credit cards in the past several months which has decreased my average age of accounts to around 5 years.  I would eventually like to obtain an American Express revolving card (in addition to the charge card I currently have) and have that backdated as well to increase by account age.  Can anyone give me some insight as to when would be a good time to apply for a second card with them (6 months, a year, etc.) and their approximate scores, etc. when approved.  I am thinking of the Blue Everyday Cash card (I think that's what it's called lol).  Thanks so much for your help!

Super Contributor
DI

Re: Second American Express Card Help

Laura2323 wrote:

I recently obtained a Zync American Express and was successful in backdating the card to 1991.  I have opened quite a few credit cards in the past several months which has decreased my average age of accounts to around 5 years.  I would eventually like to obtain an American Express revolving card (in addition to the charge card I currently have) and have that backdated as well to increase by account age.  Can anyone give me some insight as to when would be a good time to apply for a second card with them (6 months, a year, etc.) and their approximate scores, etc. when approved.  I am thinking of the Blue Everyday Cash card (I think that's what it's called lol).  Thanks so much for your help!

What is your EX FICO score?   I think you can apply anytime and still get approved if you have a high score.  You AA0As  are still great.  Since you've been a member since 1991, you shouldn't have any  problems getting approved for a revolving card with AMEX. 

New Contributor
Laura2323

My EX score is 626 right now - it has decreased due to inquiries, new accounts, etc.  I really think my score has just taken a beating because of the new credit.  I went a little over bored with the apps!  I was very excited when I opened the new Amex a couple of months ago because of the backdating. 

Super Contributor
DI

Laura2323 wrote:

My EX score is 626 right now - it has decreased due to inquiries, new accounts, etc.  I really think my score has just taken a beating because of the new credit.  I went a little over bored with the apps!  I was very excited when I opened the new Amex a couple of months ago because of the backdating. 

If you're carrying balances on your cards then you for sure want to wait.   I don't think the new accounts hurt you much since your AAoAs are still high(5years).  Maybe the inquries caused more than a few dings.  If you have balances, I think that'd be a problem. 

Regular Contributor
networkguy

You'll want to make sure you've got low balances (like <15%) on your cards. With a 626, IMHO, thats too low for an Amex revolver. They are much harder to get than the charge. What else is on your reports?

New Contributor
Laura2323

I think I will wait a bit for my score to rebound from the apps, etc.  I have another post on here that outlines what my balances are and what cards I have.  I can't really complain too badly about my score at this point, especially given that I was approved for a Chase Freedom, Discover More and an Amex recently with a shortsale on my credit from less than a year ago.  My score is actually higher now than when I bought my house lol.  I guess I just need to "garden" for a bit and then once some inquiries drop off and my revolving balances are at less than 15% or so, I will give it a shot.  I finally got the hang of paying my bills in full BEFORE the reporting date so that will also help lol!  Thanks for your insight.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}