Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second American Express Card Help

tag
Laura2323
New Contributor

Second American Express Card Help

I recently obtained a Zync American Express and was successful in backdating the card to 1991.  I have opened quite a few credit cards in the past several months which has decreased my average age of accounts to around 5 years.  I would eventually like to obtain an American Express revolving card (in addition to the charge card I currently have) and have that backdated as well to increase by account age.  Can anyone give me some insight as to when would be a good time to apply for a second card with them (6 months, a year, etc.) and their approximate scores, etc. when approved.  I am thinking of the Blue Everyday Cash card (I think that's what it's called lol).  Thanks so much for your help!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Second American Express Card Help

@Laura2323 wrote:

I recently obtained a Zync American Express and was successful in backdating the card to 1991.  I have opened quite a few credit cards in the past several months which has decreased my average age of accounts to around 5 years.  I would eventually like to obtain an American Express revolving card (in addition to the charge card I currently have) and have that backdated as well to increase by account age.  Can anyone give me some insight as to when would be a good time to apply for a second card with them (6 months, a year, etc.) and their approximate scores, etc. when approved.  I am thinking of the Blue Everyday Cash card (I think that's what it's called lol).  Thanks so much for your help!

What is your EX FICO score?   I think you can apply anytime and still get approved if you have a high score.  You AA0As  are still great.  Since you've been a member since 1991, you shouldn't have any  problems getting approved for a revolving card with AMEX. 

Message 2 of 6
Laura2323
New Contributor

My EX score is 626 right now - it has decreased due to inquiries, new accounts, etc.  I really think my score has just taken a beating because of the new credit.  I went a little over bored with the apps!  I was very excited when I opened the new Amex a couple of months ago because of the backdating. 

Message 3 of 6
DI
Super Contributor

@Laura2323 wrote:

My EX score is 626 right now - it has decreased due to inquiries, new accounts, etc.  I really think my score has just taken a beating because of the new credit.  I went a little over bored with the apps!  I was very excited when I opened the new Amex a couple of months ago because of the backdating. 

If you're carrying balances on your cards then you for sure want to wait.   I don't think the new accounts hurt you much since your AAoAs are still high(5years).  Maybe the inquries caused more than a few dings.  If you have balances, I think that'd be a problem. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll want to make sure you've got low balances (like <15%) on your cards. With a 626, IMHO, thats too low for an Amex revolver. They are much harder to get than the charge. What else is on your reports?

Message 5 of 6
Laura2323
New Contributor

I think I will wait a bit for my score to rebound from the apps, etc.  I have another post on here that outlines what my balances are and what cards I have.  I can't really complain too badly about my score at this point, especially given that I was approved for a Chase Freedom, Discover More and an Amex recently with a shortsale on my credit from less than a year ago.  My score is actually higher now than when I bought my house lol.  I guess I just need to "garden" for a bit and then once some inquiries drop off and my revolving balances are at less than 15% or so, I will give it a shot.  I finally got the hang of paying my bills in full BEFORE the reporting date so that will also help lol!  Thanks for your insight.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.