Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second card - No SSN

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Second card - No SSN

Hi All,

I am frequently travelling to the US under a B1/2 Visa so don't have SSN or Itin...

I opened a BoA account back in 2009 and last July while visiting a branch I asked (for the first time) and was approved of the travel rewards card.

CLI was 1500$ at the beginning and in January I asked online and got it upgraded to 3000$...

I also registered in BoA website for TU Fico and last month I got 750.

I am now thinking about a strategy for another 1 or 2 cards that can benefit me as I travel 50% of the time paying for my expenses out of my own CC...

The credit cards I have from my country are worthless and as I spend more then 10K a month I thought that having a premium card with good benefits will help.

What are my chances that other issuers will approve one of the premium cards and which one is best?

I was looking at Amex Plat, Chase Preferred & Citi Prestige, is it a long shot to get approved for them?

Thanks,

Ziv

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Second card - No SSN

Most of the card applications pull your scores using your social. Even I was in the same boat. Had to wait for my social before I could apply for Amex. BoA will give you without SSN. Not others. They need your social.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read in a few places that with Amex (I am not sure about the Platinum card) you can put an 000000001 in social and they will send you a number where you can give them your passport number just like I did with BoA, that doesn't work? worth a try?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried that online but it did not work for me. You can give it a try.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried Amex Platinum and Capital One Platinum with my passport number instead of SSN, Capital one said they approved with 2k$ CLI, Amex needs more considuration...

Message 5 of 10
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I tried Amex Platinum and Capital One Platinum with my passport number instead of SSN, Capital one said they approved with 2k$ CLI, Amex needs more considuration...

Did you app by phone?

Online if they ask for SSN and you put a number (even from your passport) that could be the SSN for other person, you may get in trouble.

I have read that you can get credit cards with BofA, Citi (both in branch) and Amex (by phone) withou SSN/ITIN.

I didn't know about Cap1, but if you did it online they may found your file with your name/address/DOB and they may start reporting your new card with SSN = Your passport number.

Message 6 of 10
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Citi does not require you to have a SSN I bet you would have some good luck with them
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you app by phone?

Online if they ask for SSN and you put a number (even from your passport) that could be the SSN for other person, you may get in trouble.

I have read that you can get credit cards with BofA, Citi (both in branch) and Amex (by phone) withou SSN/ITIN.

I didn't know about Cap1, but if you did it online they may found your file with your name/address/DOB and they may start reporting your new card with SSN = Your passport number.

You need to notify them that it is your passport number. 

In 2011, the office of social security started randomizing SSN assignment, so there's no way to even check if your passport number has been assigned to someone.

If you do not notify them that it is not your SSN, it is considered fraud.

*A previous boss of mine was from another country and working here on a Visa, he did not have a SSN or Tax ID number when he began getting credit and used his passport number instead. Eventually someone with that SSN discovered the problem (or turned 18) and filed police reports and fraud affidavits. It was a nightmare for my boss. He didn't have access to his bank accounts until it was cleared up.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice, I will give them a call...

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.