Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second card for my mom

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Second card for my mom

So, my mom has horrible credit. I was just wondering if having a second Wal-Mart card issued to her hurts me in any way?? Or can this essentially help her out, being "associated with me" so to speak.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Second card for my mom

If you are wondering about putting your mom on your card as an Authorized User...no, it won't hurt you. Just be certain you understand that you are liable for all of her purchases on the card.

Message 2 of 10
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Equally as important, if you default, that could make her cred worse...
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 10
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

If she's added to your acc as AU, it would only help with util and aaoa.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 4 of 10
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Not all banks report AU's. Technically an AU is somebody who is able to use the account but is not liable for the charges. Whereas a coapplicantis liable for the charges.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I don't think you can add AUs to the Walmart card if that was your intention.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 6 of 10
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

Well that solves that one...haha Ignoring maiden_girl (I'm kidding, your info in generally great...Please reply to my newest thread if you have any ideas on the topic.)

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 7 of 10
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I would recommend you do not mix your mom's credit with yours.

You can help her with her own credit, but do not get yours involved. If she is okay with it, you could pull her report on a free site like credit karma and make recommendations to her.

Message 8 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

Well that solves that one...haha

Ignore me! I noticed a link on the login page where you can add an AU! I seriously read somewhere you couldn't get an AU on that card...

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 9 of 10
Dustink
Valued Contributor

My mom buried herself in credit card debt at 21% interest. Using her credit and with her permission, I got her approved for a $5k slate card with no transfer fee's and 0% until dec 2013. We conference called chase, and they gave her what we asked for.

So there are other ways to help other than adding her name to your accounts. She just needs to start building again.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.