Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second card with Thin File/No Baddies

tag
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Second card with Thin File/No Baddies

Trying to debate on how long to wait for my second card app.. Already have had 3 statement cycles with my credit union card of 5k... Only thing I don't like is the card only seems to report to TU and noone else... Discover seems to be sending me constant preoffers... but noone else seems to be.  Ideally id like a Discover, Chase Freedom, and BCP... Any recommendations on when to start trying for cards and should i app them all at once?.. This is from someone who has a thin file, with 0 baddies...

-J

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
CarnegieS
Regular Contributor

Re: Second card

I'd hold off on trying to get the freedom I tired when my credit file was 7 months old and was denied for having a short history and not enough lines(had 1). I've heard  multiple times Chase likes to see at least a year of credit history. Chase doesn't do SP CLI's it might not be a bad idea to wait until you have some higher tradelines so ensure you lock in a great starting CL. 

As far as the BCP, I was able to get in with amex when my file was 8 months old(1 card). Make sure when you app your file is in the best condition possible (have between 1-9% utilization on 1 card and 0 balance on the other).  My credit score at the time was 773, and income reported was 13k. 

If I were you I would wait until you have had credit for at least 6 months before going for either. Good Luck!

Amex Delta Gold: $5400| BofA Better Balance: $1500 | Sallie Mae: $1300 | Discover It: $500
719 TU, 685 EQ, 728 Ex.
Entered the garden : 5/8/14
Message 2 of 14
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Wait for the 1year mark for the Chase, thinking 8-10month mark for Amex, Now what about the Discover... Better off waiting the one year so I dont end up with a toy card or should I just wait a few months with these constant tease offers?

Message 3 of 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Second card with Thin File/No Baddies

@joltdude wrote:

Trying to debate on how long to wait for my second card app.. Already have had 3 statement cycles with my credit union card of 5k... Only thing I don't like is the card only seems to report to TU and noone else... Discover seems to be sending me constant preoffers... but noone else seems to be.  Ideally id like a Discover, Chase Freedom, and BCP... Any recommendations on when to start trying for cards and should i app them all at once?.. This is from someone who has a thin file, with 0 baddies...

-J

All the wanted cards pull from the other 2 CB's so what kind of history do you have on those since the CU card only reports to TU?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Second card with Thin File/No Baddies

@joltdude wrote:

Any recommendations on when to start trying for cards and should i app them all at once?

Instead of when you might want to consider which creditors are likely to pull TU.  It doesn't matter how long you wait if nothing has improved on your reports.

Message 5 of 14
CarnegieS
Regular Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Wait for the 1year mark for the Chase, thinking 8-10month mark for Amex, Now what about the Discover... Better off waiting the one year so I dont end up with a toy card or should I just wait a few months with these constant tease offers?

Well discover pulls TU, so it makes sense to me why you are receiving preapproved offers from them. Do you have anything reporting to the other bureaus currently?

If you don't I would defiantly recommend getting another card that will report to all 3. If you are receiving preapproved offers from discover I say go for that. They were my first card (took a chance on me) and there customer service really is top notch. They might give you a smaller starting limit, but you have to start somewhere and CLI's down the road are always an option (can always see if SP CLI is an option before you take a HP). 1 hard pull isn't going to kill your score and in my opinion another card would benefit you more than it would hurt you! 

Amex Delta Gold: $5400| BofA Better Balance: $1500 | Sallie Mae: $1300 | Discover It: $500
719 TU, 685 EQ, 728 Ex.
Entered the garden : 5/8/14
Message 6 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@CarnegieS wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

Well discover pulls TU, so it makes sense to me why you are receiving preapproved offers from them. Do you have anything reporting to the other bureaus currently?

If you don't I would defiantly recommend getting another card that will report to all 3. If you are receiving preapproved offers from discover I say go for that. They were my first card (took a chance on me) and there customer service really is top notch. They might give you a smaller starting limit, but you have to start somewhere and CLI's down the road are always an option (can always see if SP CLI is an option before you take a HP). 1 hard pull isn't going to kill your score and in my opinion another card would benefit you more than it would hurt you! 

Discover pulls TU for CLI's and will pull from all 3 CRAs for apps.  

I agree, Discover can be more acceptable of new/thin files. In the beginning if building credit there's nothing wrong with apping for 2-3 cards so that your inq's/TLs will age together. 

Message 7 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@CarnegieS wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

Discover pulls TU for CLI's and will pull from all 3 CRAs for apps.  

I agree, Discover can be more acceptable of new/thin files. In the beginning if building credit there's nothing wrong with apping for 2-3 cards so that your inq's/TLs will age together. 

You mean "1" of all 3 for app? I have never seen triple pull from Discover but they did pull EQ for my application but our CLI was TU.

OP is this credit union card your first ever credit card and you have no score generating or??

Message 8 of 14
fargobzn
Contributor

I would try to Discover, I had a thin file when they approved me. They did pull both EQ and EX though.  

Message 9 of 14
dave024
New Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

You mean "1" of all 3 for app? I have never seen triple pull from Discover but they did pull EQ for my application but our CLI was TU.

OP is this credit union card your first ever credit card and you have no score generating or??

They do often double pull though, as I got TU and EQ pulled for my application

I agree that Discover is a good choice if they will approve. They've been pretty good with soft pull credit limit increases for me, but I've heard some people have less luck on those.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.