Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured CC Denial due to ChexSystems?

tag
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

Secured CC Denial due to ChexSystems?

has anyone ever been denied a secured card for being in chex systems?

since a chex systems entry (even if paid) can prevent one from opening a savings account (which can be used as "collateral" account) for secured card--has anyone in chex systems been denied or approved a secured card lately or encountered this issue?

this is something ive been wondering.....
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Secured CC Denial due to ChexSystems?

I really doubt checks system would have any thing to prevent you from getting the CC. In this case you are not really writing a check. You are only depositing money into savings account. I could be wrong, but I dont think it should effect you from obtaining a Secured CC.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

concorduser wrote:
I really doubt checks system would have any thing to prevent you from getting the CC. In this case you are not really writing a check. You are only depositing money into savings account. I could be wrong, but I dont think it should effect you from obtaining a Secured CC.

Actually, I have heard rumors of this happening. Never met anyone in person, but these days one doesn't have to have checking for direct deposit- they can just have savings. However, w/ savings comes a Visa/Atm credit/debit card, and since it can be used as a CC, I personally was denied many many years ago for the Visa ATM/credit/debit card. I had to get ATM only. I could still set up the savings account.

Made me so mad at the time it happened that I have never gone back and asked for the Visa CC/debit version. My debit/ cash only card still has the Visa logo- but I can't use it as a debit/credit card.

ATM strictly.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

netpanther wrote:

concorduser wrote:

Actually, I have heard rumors of this happening. Never met anyone in person, but these days one doesn't have to have checking for direct deposit- they can just have savings. However, w/ savings comes a Visa/Atm credit/debit card, and since it can be used as a CC, I personally was denied many many years ago for the Visa ATM/credit/debit card. I had to get ATM only. I could still set up the savings account.

Made me so mad at the time it happened that I have never gone back and asked for the Visa CC/debit version. My debit/ cash only card still has the Visa logo- but I can't use it as a debit/credit card.

ATM strictly.

PS- this is not at a bank, at the local CU.
Message 4 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I guess it all depends on each CU how they process the apps. For instance last year when my scores are low and around mid 500, one of the CU forget about the Visa/Debit card,  they would not even open a checking account for me. Only thing would allow me to open is a savings account wtih atm card. Now my scores are close to 700 that is all a thing of the past.
Message 5 of 7
ccaddict
Regular Contributor

I was declined for wamu secured due to chex systems report. Applied in the branch after being declined for the platinum online a week before.. thought I'd see if they had a secured or student option since i took the hit anyway.

Chex systems said I had too many inquiries in the past 90 days. I had opened checking and savings account in 3 banks and 1 cu about 2 weeks earlier.

I was planning on applying for it again later this year but it has $29 af and i now have 4 cards without af so i don't need it.

When i applied.. the rep told me that the secured card is something new that wamu had come up with. This was in june 07. No hard inq for secured, only 1 hard for the platinum online app.

This is the first time i became aware of banks pulling other cbr's and something called as "chex systems".
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

concorduser wrote:
I guess it all depends on each CU how they process the apps. For instance last year when my scores are low and around mid 500, one of the CU forget about the Visa/Debit card,  they would not even open a checking account for me. Only thing would allow me to open is a savings account wtih atm card. Now my scores are close to 700 that is all a thing of the past.

Kind of my situation too. I got so mad when it happened though, I have never gone back for the check card.

I guess I could re think it. But since it can be used as a CC, it's not any safer than a reg. CC.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.