Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Secured CC?

I am looking to establish better credit 

Current scores are in the 630's.. Most of my late payments and a few settled for less than full amounts are from 2005 or before, however I just applied for a c card that fico recommends for my credit range denied me so that leaves me in secured credit card land. 

Do they actually help? if so, how much?

I currently have 0 credit cards and I am user on my wife's AMEX paid every month. 1 auto lease and student loans.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
doctor2be
Valued Member

Re: Secured CC?

yes they do ---my eq went from 669 to 722 and my tu went form 677 to 781--that is the sole reason i got my secured cc from a credit union-----i didnt want to take the chance with a hard inquiry
Message 2 of 6
sjt
Senior Contributor

Based on the information you gave, you should be able to get any secured card with no problem. I would try a credit union. Bank of America, Wells Fargo, US Bank/Elan have a good secured product as well.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 3 of 6
vish1
Valued Contributor

IMO Credit unions are best for secure card. BofA will do a hard for secured also (all 3 in many cases) and then will hard pull again for unsecuring.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 4 of 6
jeffgucci
Valued Member

I agree with sjt....Dont know if you have one in your area, but PNC (the old Natinal City) offers a secured card that reports as a regular card. Not "secured card"

Starting Score: 594 11/2010
Current Score: 5/14/2014 My Fico EX 675 TU 651 EQ 665
Goal Score: 850 (I'm coming)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@jeffgucci wrote:

I agree with sjt....Dont know if you have one in your area, but PNC (the old Natinal City) offers a secured card that reports as a regular card. Not "secured card"

I appreciate everyone trying to help but the OP only had this one post and it's from 9/2009.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.