Kable
Valued Member

Secured Capital One Utilization

I want to keep my utilization at 7 percent. I got this message:

Your payment due date is February 28, 2011, and your billing cycle date
is February 3, 2011. You can make a payment at any time prior to your
payment due date. You can change your payment due date at any time to
be more convenient for you

So this mean I need to have my bill paid by ?? to keep my utilization at 7 percent?

a gentleman is simply a patient wolf
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Secured Capital One Utilization

@Kable wrote:

I want to keep my utilization at 7 percent. I got this message:

Your payment due date is February 28, 2011, and your billing cycle date
is February 3, 2011
. You can make a payment at any time prior to your
payment due date. You can change your payment due date at any time to
be more convenient for you

So this mean I need to have my bill paid by ?? to keep my utilization at 7 percent?

Pay today, since your statement is due to drop tomorrow. I don't know if Cap One credits immediately, but if they do, that will do the trick. Pay attention to the pop-up box when you pay online. It might say something like "Your account is credited immediately. However, it might take several days for the new balance to show, and for the payment amount to appear on your bank statement." Or whatever.

If they credit immediately, don't sweat any delay in seeing the new numbers show up. That's very common.

No idea what your balance is or CL, so you'll have to figure how much to pay.

Out of curiosity, why are you trying to have it report 7%? (as opposed to 1% or 0% or 9% or whatever)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
jeffgucci
Valued Member

You want to make sure you pay it in full the day before your statement cuts which is usually a few days after your due date...

Starting Score: 594 11/2010
Current Score: 5/14/2014 My Fico EX 675 TU 651 EQ 665
Goal Score: 850 (I'm coming)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Here are the time tables for paying Cap 1:

Credit Card Payment Posting Timeframes
Payment submitted onPosts to accountFunds available
Monday-Saturdaybefore5:00 p.m ET
(2:00 p.m PT)
Same day by midnight  The day after the payment posts
   by 8:00 a.m ET (5:00 a.m PT)*
Monday-Fridayafter5:00 p.m ET
Next day by midnight
Saturdayafter5:00 p.m ET
Next business day by midnight
Sundayanytime 
Next business day by midnight **
Payments are not processed or posted Thanksgiving Day or Christmas Day.

*The availability of funds may be delayed at Capital One's sole discretion to ensure payment in good funds.

** If your payment due date falls on Sunday, Thanksgiving, or Christmas and you schedule a payment on that date, then your payment will be considered on time.

Message 4 of 8
vish1
Valued Contributor

If you want to keep your utilization low, the  best way is to pay as soon as the transactions post.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 5 of 8
Kable
Valued Member

I just got this card a few days ago and used it once. It doesn't say i have a due date or anything yet, Im guessing since i have only had it for a few days.

Everyone talks about 9 percent and my favorite number is 7 so i just went with it.

a gentleman is simply a patient wolf
Message 6 of 8
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

It's not going to show yet.  Call capone and ask them when your billing cycle is.

Message 7 of 8
vish1
Valued Contributor

@DB28 wrote:

It's not going to show yet.  Call capone and ask them when your billing cycle is.

Billing cycle is in his first post

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.