Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Cards with Low Deposit

tag
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

Secured Cards with Low Deposit

I am looking to get 2 or 3 secured cards- but will need them with a lower deposit.  I don't care if the CL is the low deposit amount- that doesn't matter to me.  I'm not planning on spending anymore than 5 bucks a month on each anyways.  but since I need 2 or 3- I cannot afford $200 deposit on each card either.  Just wondering if anyone can direct to me to secured cards with a lower (like 50 bucks or less) deposit.  

I am looking for:

• LOW deposit (even if CL is low- fine with me for me now)
  • Reports to all 3 agencies- or at least reports to TU
  • Prefer no yearly fee- but realize I can't have everything LOL
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Secured Cards with Low Deposit

@bruiseviolet wrote:

I am looking to get 2 or 3 secured cards- but will need them with a lower deposit.  I don't care if the CL is the low deposit amount- that doesn't matter to me.  I'm not planning on spending anymore than 5 bucks a month on each anyways.  but since I need 2 or 3- I cannot afford $200 deposit on each card either.  Just wondering if anyone can direct to me to secured cards with a lower (like 50 bucks or less) deposit.  

I am looking for:

I could be wrong, but I don't think you'll be able to find something like that. The lowest deposit for a secured card I remember seeing is with Cap 1, and that depends on the credit check - but you can get a $200 CL for $49. But you could end up having to pay more. The other banks I looked at had lower minimums. Orchard was 200, BofA is 300, NFCU is 500, don't remember what US Bank and USAA had, but it was at least $300 if I'm not mistaken.

As far as no annual fee.. good luck. If you're looking for a secured card, they know you're not in a position to bargain so they're going to charge you an annual fee to make some money off of you. Orchard waives the AF the first year, but then you have a fee. Navy Federal has to fee, but you have to deposit at least $500 and be eligible for membership. Everyone else, you're most likely going to be paying something in the $30-40 range.

Depending on what your credit report looks like, your best choice might be Capital One. I don't like recommending them, but it comes closest to what you're looking for. You might be able to get the cards for a $49 or $99 deposit each, and the annual fee is only $29. But of course, you'll end up with a hard pull on all 3. Also, they might do a separate pull for each card, so you might end up taking a LOT of inquiries from it.

The only other choice I could recommend is talking to a local credit union, but I'm not sure you'll be able to get anything for a less than $200 deposit from them.

Message 2 of 29
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@bruiseviolet wrote:

I am looking for:

Are you building new or rebuilding bad credit?  

Why do you want 3 low limt cards?   I would suggest one higher limit card is often better, maybe 2.

Message 3 of 29
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

Why do you want 3 low limt cards?   I would suggest one higher limit card is often better, maybe 2.

Rebuilding bad credit (see my credit score in signature LOL).

I am applying for a mortgage in February- and in order to get a lower interest rate/down payment they are recommending I have 3 tradelines of credit showing good payments.  (Please refrain from the negative comments about not getting a mortgage with 6 months blah blah- i've ALREADY been approved with the company- just trying to get a lower interest rate and down payment).  From the credit simulators it showed the best credit increase was with 2 or 3 new lines of credit.  

I'm not apposed to one card with a higher limit-  just trying to get the biggest score increase I can.  I realize I will have to pay a yearly fee- like I said previously, "realize I can't have everything".  I just figured I was better off to get two cards with 100 dollar deposits- vs. 1 card with a 200 dollar deposit.  I could be wrong.  I'm not opposed to either.

I am stretching my monthly budget this month if I have to come up with 200- so was trying keep it lower.  I realize it won't impact more score as miuch with a lower limit- but they just want to see the good tradeline- at this point in the game- for my goals right now- the limit doesn't mean much to me.  Plus I know based on bad habits from the past- the lower the limit- the less likely I am to be stupid with it.  

Also- on a side note-  I pay cash for everything.  I haven't had a credit card in YEARS.  I have trouble managing them- so for me the best option was to go CASH only.  (I dont even have checks for my checking account.)  Because money is tight and I am a single mother- I am somewhat scared of falling into the old trap that got me into this mess- ie big life changing event happens, and living off credit cards.  Can I get my cards- use them to purchase a pack of gum or something less than 20 bucks? and then go home and shred them so I don't use them?  

Message 4 of 29
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@bruiseviolet wrote:

Rebuilding bad credit (see my credit score in signature LOL).

I am applying for a mortgage in February- and in order to get a lower interest rate/down payment they are recommending I have 3 tradelines of credit showing good payments.  (Please refrain from the negative comments about not getting a mortgage with 6 months blah blah- i've ALREADY been approved with the company- just trying to get a lower interest rate and down payment).  From the credit simulators it showed the best credit increase was with 2 or 3 new lines of credit.  

I'm not apposed to one card with a higher limit-  just trying to get the biggest score increase I can.  I realize I will have to pay a yearly fee- like I said previously, "realize I can't have everything".  I just figured I was better off to get two cards with 100 dollar deposits- vs. 1 card with a 200 dollar deposit.  I could be wrong.  I'm not opposed to either.

I am stretching my monthly budget this month if I have to come up with 200- so was trying keep it lower.  I realize it won't impact more score as miuch with a lower limit- but they just want to see the good tradeline- at this point in the game- for my goals right now- the limit doesn't mean much to me.  Plus I know based on bad habits from the past- the lower the limit- the less likely I am to be stupid with it.  

Also- on a side note-  I pay cash for everything.  I haven't had a credit card in YEARS.  I have trouble managing them- so for me the best option was to go CASH only.  (I dont even have checks for my checking account.)  Because money is tight and I am a single mother- I am somewhat scared of falling into the old trap that got me into this mess- ie big life changing event happens, and living off credit cards.  Can I get my cards- use them to purchase a pack of gum or something less than 20 bucks? and then go home and shred them so I don't use them?  

Charging a stick of gum every once in a while will work.  But do you have any recurring monthly bills that you can set up on the card.  I have a CapOne card that I don't care to use anymore but am not quite ready to cancel.  I have it set up to pay my TU Quarterly monitoring which is $3.71/month.  I have an auto bill payment set up with my checking account to pay the $3.71 to CapOne the next day.  I don't have to carry the CapOne card at all and I never have to log on to make payments.  I also set up an account alert to e-mail me if the balance goes above $5.  That way I don't even have to log on to monitor against fraud. The only thing I have to do is remember to either cancel before the annual fee comes due or remember that I'll have to make a payment that month, but the account alert would let me know if the AF came due, and I have an alert set up in my calendar to let me know beforehand in any event.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@bruiseviolet wrote:

...Also- on a side note-  I pay cash for everything.  I haven't had a credit card in YEARS.  I have trouble managing them- so for me the best option was to go CASH only.  (I dont even have checks for my checking account.)  Because money is tight and I am a single mother- I am somewhat scared of falling into the old trap that got me into this mess- ie big life changing event happens, and living off credit cards.  Can I get my cards- use them to purchase a pack of gum or something less than 20 bucks? and then go home and shred them so I don't use them?  

Sure, you can buy a Slurpee, pay off the card, and stop using it --for a while.

But I would strongly advise not shredding it or stopping entirely. You want the cards to be showing as actively and properly used.

Do you have a utility bill or something that you already pay that you could put on a card? Or anything recurring that you have to pay cash for anyway --gas, bus/ subway pass, monthly prescription. You can put something like this on a card. Check your CC account daily, and the moment that the balance pops up, boom! pay it off online, then and there.

Frankly, I've never heard of a secured card with uber-low limits like what you're describing. I understand that you're in a cash crunch, but I think that you'll need to somehow come up with more.

And I do hope that you can swing the house OK, but I have to ask: if cash is this tight now, how will you handle the various crises that come with owning a hou$e? Because all of us who've had a house can tell you, you have to be able to pull out the checkbook on a regular basis. Smiley Tongue

Not being unsympathetic here, but I have to say, I'm a little worried.

eta: Walt_K beat me! Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't say pay off the balance as soon as it shows up on your card. If you're paying the balance off as soon as it posts, you're not going to have any utilization at the end of the month, after all.

Like previously suggested, set up a recurring bill on the card and auto-pay for it. I had renter's insurance (like $15/mo) getting charged on one card and I'd let the balance post and then pay it off, so it would show the small utilization % every month.

Then I decided I hate Orchard Bank and stopped using the card entirely.

Message 7 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't say pay off the balance as soon as it shows up on your card. If you're paying the balance off as soon as it posts, you're not going to have any utilization at the end of the month, after all.

Like previously suggested, set up a recurring bill on the card and auto-pay for it. I had renter's insurance (like $15/mo) getting charged on one card and I'd let the balance post and then pay it off, so it would show the small utilization % every month.

Then I decided I hate Orchard Bank and stopped using the card entirely.

Good point. OP is worried about getting tempted into running up her balance, and I was focusing on that, but it's true that one card ought to report something anyway.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 29
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@bruiseviolet wrote:

...Also- on a side note-  I pay cash for everything.  I haven't had a credit card in YEARS.  I have trouble managing them- so for me the best option was to go CASH only.  (I dont even have checks for my checking account.)  Because money is tight and I am a single mother- I am somewhat scared of falling into the old trap that got me into this mess- ie big life changing event happens, and living off credit cards.  Can I get my cards- use them to purchase a pack of gum or something less than 20 bucks? and then go home and shred them so I don't use them?  

Sure, you can buy a Slurpee, pay off the card, and stop using it --for a while.

But I would strongly advise not shredding it or stopping entirely. You want the cards to be showing as actively and properly used.

Do you have a utility bill or something that you already pay that you could put on a card? Or anything recurring that you have to pay cash for anyway --gas, bus/ subway pass, monthly prescription. You can put something like this on a card. Check your CC account daily, and the moment that the balance pops up, boom! pay it off online, then and there.

Frankly, I've never heard of a secured card with uber-low limits like what you're describing. I understand that you're in a cash crunch, but I think that you'll need to somehow come up with more.

And I do hope that you can swing the house OK, but I have to ask: if cash is this tight now, how will you handle the various crises that come with owning a hou$e? Because all of us who've had a house can tell you, you have to be able to pull out the checkbook on a regular basis. Smiley Tongue

Not being unsympathetic here, but I have to say, I'm a little worried.

eta: Walt_K beat me! Smiley Wink

Have to concur with the growing consensus here regarding that house idea. You are biting off quite a bite buying a house - and if you're having difficulty putting together $200 to open a secured card, you're most likely setting yourself up for disaster buying a house.

I would urge you to wait...grow your credit and bank account a bit...then move in for the house when you're in a better position to do so. Just one man's opinion...

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 9 of 29
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

This is why I shouldn't have given any details.  The mortgage payments is 1/2 of what I am currently paying in rent for me and my 3 kids.  So I disagree- without knowing all of my financial details- it's nobody's business to tell me to 'wait on getting a house'.  I will have more money left over than I do now currently renting.  Also I said THIS MONTH I don't have the extra 200-  I didn't say that's every single month- just happens to be this month I don't.  

My credit is sh** because of bad choices I made BEFORE I had children- when I was just out of high school.  The only reason I am even giving two craps to clean up my credit is simply to get the mortgage- I do very well just paying cash for everything (including my vehicle which I PAID IN FULL with Cash) and if it wasn't for a mortgage- I wouldn't even bother with my credit.  

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.