Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Cards

tag
kball64
Frequent Contributor

Secured Cards

My question is how difficult is it to get a secured card.  I applied online today for a Wells Fargo (I already have a checking and savings account with them) and I got a message saying it will need further review.  My experian FICO is only 543 and I'm hoping to rebuild my credit.  I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with them and what the level of difficulty is when trying to get a $300 CL secured card. 

Thanks!!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

Re: Secured Cards

i have had the WF secured card for 6 months, 500 cl and fico was 505 when i applied. customer service has been excellent, interest rate is reasonable, and you can earn rewards.
Message 2 of 8
kball64
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply!  So do you think the message "Needs further review" is pretty standard then?  I'm starting to worry that I won't even be able to get a secured card.  My checking account is in good standing and I have direct deposit.
Message 3 of 8
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Hi kball, try your local credit union. They will be much more willing to help you and also most of them have no AF and their interest rates are low. They will also make your account unsecure much more quickly. In the early stages dont app for too many cards as each one will do a hard inq and it will cost you points to your score.
Message 4 of 8
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

i think it is standard. after a few days, call customer service or the automated system and it will tell you whether you were approved or denied and when your card was mailed.
Message 5 of 8
kball64
Frequent Contributor

Well, I called the 800# this morning to check on the status and sure enough, the recording said I was declined due to the reason that only 1 credit card is allowed per customer.  The rules for getting a secured states that you cannot hold any other Wells Fargo cc's.  I do not have a WF CC however I was issued one in March '05 which went delinquent and was charged off.  I paid it in full last year.  So I'm going the letter or recon route to see if it will work.  This is the letter I am sending.  I compiled it from a few different samples I found in these forums.  I'd appreciate some feedback! Thanks.

Dear Sir or Madam::

Thank you for considering my credit application, and I know that my credit reports show a less than ideal applicant.  However, I am writing today to ask that you reconsider my application.

One of the reasons given as to why I was declined for a Wells Fargo Secured Card is because only one card is allowed per customer.  If you check your records further, you will see that I am currently not a Wells Fargo credit card holder.  I was issued a credit card in March 2005.  At that time, I was going through severe life changes which resulted in serious financial difficulties for myself.  I allowed my Wells Fargo card, among others, to fall delinquent and was ultimately closed and charged off.  In 2007, with the assistance of the Wells Fargo Recovery Department, I repaid the balance on my credit card in FULL.  (Please see the attached letter I received from your Recovery Department.)

Again, I know that my credit reports reflect a less than ideal applicant; however I ask that you please consider the following:

I have maintained a perfect payment history on my current car loan over the past 7 months, I have paid down most of my debt, I have begun contributing to my Wells Fargo Savings Account (with automatic transfers each payday from my checking account) and have kept my Wells Fargo Checking Account in perfect standing for over the past 12 months. 

I believe I have learned the essential organizational and financial management principles I desperately need.  Thankfully, responsible credit management has now become a part of my life as I strive to improve my credit on a daily basis.  I know that having a Wells Fargo Secured Credit Card would offer me the opportunity to get my credit back on track, as rebuilding good credit is now my top priority.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.  I hope you will favorably reconsider me for the Wells Fargo Secured Card.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to speak directly with me or would like any additional information.

Message 6 of 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Join a credit union, you'll be much better off.

Can a family member get you into NFCU?  Although they do not have secured visa's.

I know that The Firefighters Credit Union does.
Message 7 of 8
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

i think your letter is good and you should follow up about a week after it has been received. also, if you do not have a capital one credit card- you might be able to get one of the "needs improvement" cards....try the link on capital one's website that says something like "see if im pre-qualified".....
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.