Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Credit Card Flagging

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Secured Credit Card Flagging

Well she said only to leave like $5 in so there would be little interest and that it was better for building credit but gave no sound reasoning, nor did I ask, I was focused on other things at the time.

Message 11 of 19
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

It does not help your credit at all.    Her bonus pay will be better.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

She wasn't trying to set me up with an account with them though (at least not openly), I had gone in with my Business plan to talk about a loan but my credit stopped me so we got talking about how to fix it. Is there really no valid reason for leaving a small amount in the account every month?

Message 13 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

She wasn't trying to set me up with an account with them though (at least not openly), I had gone in with my Business plan to talk about a loan but my credit stopped me so we got talking about how to fix it. Is there really no valid reason for leaving a small amount in the account every month?

No reason at all. The CCC's know you've used your card during the month. You never have to leave a balance. That only causes unnecessary interest to be charged.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thank you guys very much

Message 15 of 19
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It is a common myth.   I think the banking industry keeps spreading it to improve their profits.   I suspect a lot of bank employees don't even know it is false.

Message 16 of 19
LynnBushea
New Contributor

I have a secured card with navy federal and they do not report the card as secured.

Starting Score: 478
Current Score: 650
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 19
Datx
Valued Contributor

But wouldnt the navy federal secured card require membership with them in order to be approved?

Message 18 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Let me clarify my previous post.

I said there: You never have to leave a balance.

I should have said that a balance should never be carried forward from month to month. You need to have a small balance show on your monthly statement because FICO does not like to see all zero balances but any balance should be PIF each month before the due date to avoid finance charges.

Hopefully this is a better explanation.   Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.