Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Credit Card

tag
Reyesz
Valued Member

Secured Credit Card

Recently filed Bankruptcy and would like to restart building Credit

Can anyone tell me what the best card to start with is (secured)

And any other helpfull advise would be appreciated

I would like to buy a House in 2 years and want to use my Husbands VA

Thanks

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

Re: Secured Credit Card

HSBC Retail Services is a division of HSBC Bank and they're the ones that issue store cards for Best Buy, Guitar Center, etc.
Message 11 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your bankrupcty is too new less than a year or two, it may be hard to get secured card because your credit score has dropped big time since you filed for BK. Just wait for a year or two later and when your credit score improve, I'm sure you will get a secured and unsecured card.

Message 2 of 15
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

I would apply for cards from HSBC and Capital One and go from there. Their cards are a lot better because they help you build credit and don't charge ridiculous fees like First Premier.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do believe that National City's secured is available to anyone with the funds. I don't think that it will ever graduate, but it would be a good building block TL. 
Message 4 of 15
Reyesz
Valued Member

TYSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 15
Reyesz
Valued Member

Would I look under National secured credit card?
Message 6 of 15
Reyesz
Valued Member

What is HSBCSmiley Sad

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

National City bank is the actual bank that issues the card. nationalcity.com  They were recently purchased by PNC but all signs point to them still offering this card. 
Message 8 of 15
Roxlie
Contributor

I had a BK discharged in 2006.  Within a couple months I had pre-approvals from Orchard and Household banks for unsecured cards.  While the limits were low..like $300 and an annual fee of $59, I went ahead and accepted them.  I screwed up in the past and I felt it was a small price to pay for my mistakes.  They are decent rebuilder cards and they do that job well as long as you manage them.

Check Orchard Bank: https://www.hsbcapply.com/start/orchardbank

It's a soft pull for the preapproval so try it out.

Message Edited by Roxlie on 03-31-2009 09:50 AM
Message 9 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Reyesz wrote:

What is HSBCSmiley Sad

HSBC is a sub-prime CC issuer, however they are a decent starter card. They also have a sub-sub-prime division via Orchard Bank. HSBC also manages CC portfolios for companies like Best Buy and others whose names escape me at the moment.

http://www.hsbccreditcard.com/

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.