Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured card list

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Secured card list

Here is a list of some of the major and a few minor banks who issue secured cards.  One for example has low fees if you are late.  Open Sky only charges $20 for a late payment.  FNBO and USAA both give you interest on your security funds.  FNBO has a low AF, so if you don't carry a balance then this would be a good card or the Harley Davidson card from US Bank which earns rewards for Harley Gift cards.  (US Bank has a lot of different secure cards actually, but most are with airlines which don't really offer service in the US.)

Please add to the list if you would like and I will try and update my Excel file later.  I am also posting this in Approvals, so if a moderator wants to move it, I guess just simply delete it.  I just figured since it is just general it would also fit here.

Bank

Fee

APR

$ APR

Penalty

Int

Graduate

Ap Fee

Activation

Rewards

FNBO

$19

17.99%

25.24%

No

0.05%

No?

No

No

No

USAA

$35

9.90%

9.90%

No

0.54%

No

No

No

No

Open Sky

$29

17.50%

17.50%

21.50%

No

No

No

No

No

Harley Davidson by US Bank

$0

22.99%

23.99%

No

No

No

No

No

Harley

$10 Harley at signup, earns Harley gift card rewards.

Merrick

$36

17.45%

22.45%

No

No

CLIs

No

No

No

additional card fee $10/ea

BofA

$39

20.24%

24.99%

29.99%

No

12 mo.

No

No

No/Yes

If you apply for a regular account then you might be offered a secured card with rewards.

Wells Fargo

$25

18.99%

23.99%

No

No

12+

No

No

No

Citizens

$24

23.99%

24.99%

29.99%

yes

?

No

No

No

Citibank

$29

18.74%

?

?

No

No

No

No

US Bank

$35

20.99%

23.99%

No

No

No

No

No

No

PNC

$36

18.99%

21.99%

28.99%

No

No

No

No

No

5/3

$24

23.99%

24.99%

29.99%

yes

?

No

No

No

Capital One - variable deposit

$29

22.90%

22.90%

No

No

CLIs

No

No

No

First Progress

29-44

11.99-19.99%

14.99-23.99%

No

No

No

No

No

No

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Secured card list

Supposedly, FNBO graduates and gives CLIs.  Anyone have any to add?

Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 2 of 6
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

The FNBO Kickstart is an excellent card. Not sure it's the same card you have there, because I'm looking to get this card soon and it's a $29 annual fee and a 20.99% reg APR, 25.24% cash advance APR. The Kickstart does indeed offer a possible unsecured CLI at 6 months of good usage and no late payments, and then at 15 months of good usage and no lates you may be able to apply for the unsecured version, and get your deposit back. "By using your card and making regular, on-time bill payments it is possible for you to qualify for additional credit — without the additional deposit — in as little as 6 months. Then, as soon as 9 months later, if on-time payments and regular use of the card continue, you may qualify to apply for a fully unsecured card and, if approved, your original deposit will be refunded." - From the official application page.

Maybe add a Bad/Poor/Fair credit recommended column and whether or not they HP? Because I know with Capitol One, their secured Mastercard is less forgiving, than say the First Progress or OpenSky cards, and some of these HP and some SP.  Other than that, I can't think of any other cards of the top of my head. It's a good list! Smiley Happy

Maybe links to the specific application pages?

FNBO Kickstart

OpenSky

First Progress (There's 3)

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 3 of 6
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

No I think the kickstart is actually a different one also offered by them.  Let me see what I can do about the links! 

Anyone else have any suggestions?  (At least an occassionaly 'thanks' as a reply would be good.  Not to stroke my ego, but to keep it up in the list so others can benefit if needed!)

Message 4 of 6
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

@TiggerDat wrote:

No I think the kickstart is actually a different one also offered by them.  Let me see what I can do about the links! 

Anyone else have any suggestions?  (At least an occassionaly 'thanks' as a reply would be good.  Not to stroke my ego, but to keep it up in the list so others can benefit if needed!)

Yea, here's the regular FNBO secured. Shows the same stats you have in the table already.

Links are definitely good, because I know sometimes finding the actual application page was tough! Thanks again. This will help me, and I'm sure a lot of other people! Smiley Very Happy

[EDIT] Also, I guess the regular FNBO secured, NOT the Kickstart (as far as I know), gives you a 24/7 free FICO 8 score to access online, and has the option for card designs, which is fun.

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 5 of 6
newhis
Valued Contributor

I got the regular secured card from BofA, as soon as the last 4 numbers of the account were shown online and the name didn't say cash rewards, I opened a secured chat and told them that I wanted the cash rewards card, just like my wife's got a few weeks before. They said sure, wait around 4 weeks for your new card. 4 weeks later I got the cash rewards card with new number and chip.

Thank you for this list.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.