Regular Contributor

Secured credit card???

So I was suggested on another post to obtain a secured credit card. I have a myFICO score of 586 and would like to break 640 within a few months, I only have 1 account in collection but I have lates on other accounts that I am GW'ing I also have two paid off collection accounts sitting to fall off in 2012 but I am GW'ing them also. I must say that I do have 5 store cards open and all at soon to be zero balances. 

My question is which secured card is best? I looked at BOA but they charge an annual fee??? is that normal? Should I try my credit union? I dont want to try and apply for too many cards and get denied since that will hurt my score. Should I try and call CITI (one of my paid off collection accounts) and try and re-establish my account with them? Any and all suggestions are welcomed. 

Started at 586 EQ and 604 TU in 8/2009
565 EQ Oct 09
614 EQ Dec 09
624 EQ Feb 10 ---604 TU Jan 10
643 EQ March 10 --from lender
Current 573 TU (myfico) 632 EQ (from lender) Jan 11
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Secured credit card???

citi probably wouldn't reopen your account, but it never hurts to ask!  =)

i would take copies of my credit reports to my credit union & see what they say, before they start pulling your credit.

Latest scores: Walmart TU: 769. MyFICO TU: 769. DCU EQ: 755. MyFICO EQ: 780. PSECU EX: 756. MyFICO EX: 780.
Regular Contributor

citi will not open your account. most, if not all, secured cards will charge you an annual fee. i love my BofA secured card. it is set to unsecure this month on the 27th. outstanding customer service, relatively low interest rate (at 14.25%...and i do mean relatively).

Senior Contributor

emartin82 wrote:

citi will not open your account. most, if not all, secured cards will charge you an annual fee. i love my BofA secured card. it is set to unsecure this month on the 27th. outstanding customer service, relatively low interest rate (at 14.25%...and i do mean relatively).

Navy Federal's secured card has no annual fee.  Not sure about PenFed's.
IAALBNYL
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.