Regular Contributor
msdraglox

Secured credit card???

So I was suggested on another post to obtain a secured credit card. I have a myFICO score of 586 and would like to break 640 within a few months, I only have 1 account in collection but I have lates on other accounts that I am GW'ing I also have two paid off collection accounts sitting to fall off in 2012 but I am GW'ing them also. I must say that I do have 5 store cards open and all at soon to be zero balances. 

My question is which secured card is best? I looked at BOA but they charge an annual fee??? is that normal? Should I try my credit union? I dont want to try and apply for too many cards and get denied since that will hurt my score. Should I try and call CITI (one of my paid off collection accounts) and try and re-establish my account with them? Any and all suggestions are welcomed. 

Started at 586 EQ and 604 TU in 8/2009
565 EQ Oct 09
614 EQ Dec 09
624 EQ Feb 10 ---604 TU Jan 10
643 EQ March 10 --from lender
Current 573 TU (myfico) 632 EQ (from lender) Jan 11
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
laz98

Re: Secured credit card???

citi probably wouldn't reopen your account, but it never hurts to ask!  =)

i would take copies of my credit reports to my credit union & see what they say, before they start pulling your credit.

Latest scores: Walmart TU: 769. MyFICO TU: 769. DCU EQ: 716. MyFICO EQ: 780. PSECU EX: 756. MyFICO EX: 780.
Regular Contributor
emartin82

citi will not open your account. most, if not all, secured cards will charge you an annual fee. i love my BofA secured card. it is set to unsecure this month on the 27th. outstanding customer service, relatively low interest rate (at 14.25%...and i do mean relatively).

Senior Contributor
O6

emartin82 wrote:

citi will not open your account. most, if not all, secured cards will charge you an annual fee. i love my BofA secured card. it is set to unsecure this month on the 27th. outstanding customer service, relatively low interest rate (at 14.25%...and i do mean relatively).

Navy Federal's secured card has no annual fee.  Not sure about PenFed's.
IAALBNYL

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}