working4more

Secured credit cards

I'm working on rebuilding my credit and recently opened a secured CC at my bank because I know they will report my timely payments.
I read on another forum that getting the CC will actually lower my credit score is that right? Would that be the same for secured CC's or just regular CC's?
I was going to use it only for gas pruchases and pay it in full every month.
I don't plan on making any major purchases for a couple years so I'm hoping the good credit from timely payments would out weigh the initial hit.
Sorry if this is a silly question but I'm just getting started and trying to do all I can to help. I started out 13 months ago with a 533 and now have a 577. I know its still bad but the increase makes me so happy.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Frequent Contributor
kball64

Re: Secured credit cards

You might take an initial hit but your score will bounce back and improve with timely payments.  Good luck!
Established Contributor
nicemann

Yes you might take a little bit of a hit, but it will help you in the long run.  Read over the forum below.  It has great detail on CCs and FICO.

As of 04/23/2011 - 731 for EQ FICO
As of 03/02/2012 - 779 for TU FICO
As of 12/2010 - 720 - 729 For EX (Chase FICO Score Provided by EX)
working4more

Niceman,
Thank you very much for the site info. Excellent reading and very informative!! Thanks again.:womanvery-happy:
Established Contributor
nicemann

working4more wrote:
Niceman,
Thank you very much for the site info. Excellent reading and very informative!! Thanks again.:womanvery-happy:

Not a problem, it is sticky at the top of the Credit Card Forum.  Read over any stickes on the Forums, usually very good information.
As of 04/23/2011 - 731 for EQ FICO
As of 03/02/2012 - 779 for TU FICO
As of 12/2010 - 720 - 729 For EX (Chase FICO Score Provided by EX)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}