Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured to Unsecured question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Secured to Unsecured question

Right now I have a BofA secured credit card with $300 on it. I know that after 9 months they will change it to unsecured. My question is does it matter what amount your secured limit was when they determine your unsecured limit? Should I put a $1000 more into it so I get a higher limit when it becomes unsecured?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Secured to Unsecured question

I don't have BOA but I have had Usbank and they said unsecured after 12 months... After 12 months they declined me for unsecured and I only had $300 limit.
So I too asked the same question regarding my new secured orachard bank... adding more to it.
1 person responded and said they were declined after year for unsecured.
So I'm starting to think that banks are not as good about unsecuring a card as they say.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my BofA secured card with $1000 limit in 09/06, after 8 months they unsecured in and raised the limit to $1500.  Last night I asked for my first CLI to $5000 and it was instantly approved.  It has been a great card.
Message 3 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Makes me wonder if I should open a BOA Checking account up just so I can get the secured card!
We don't have BOA in this state though. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America has been great to me, I hear a lot of people bad mouth them but I love everything about them.  I don't think I have ever had to call them for a problem, I probably just jinxed myself.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.