Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured vs unsecured

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Secured vs unsecured

I don't know of Bank of America ever publicized this card. I applied through a personal banker. I had no idea at the time it was such a good deal. Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 27
TrishN
Established Contributor

I was approval for BOA 10k CL(secured card) hopefully I can change to unsecured credit card after 1 year .. I have money. But couple year ago I don't know what is credit. I mess my credit just because 4k credit card.i live in USA for couple months then go back my country for couple months and forgot about credit card bill.When I remember it, too late it charge off. I called them asked for remove charge off, they told me NO,after that I went back my country again, when I come back USA I saw collection. Oh well just left it. I think well I got money so whateh when I start my business,gold land lord he won't let me lease the space because my credit is bad. I try to call them asked them if I can pay double or triple Just for remove it out my credit report, thay said NO.who say money is power is stupid. I got 5m in my bank. I showed for land lore he still said NO.sorry my English is not good

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 22 of 27
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@HiLine wrote:

Lol at the 50k+ credit lines. Give me 40k for a year and I can show you a better way to build your credit. After 1 year I wil return your 40k. Win-win. Smiley Wink

+1 for BofA Bankamericard Travel Rewards secured card being the best of its kind. The upper limit for the credit line is 10k. The card is reported as a secured card, which is not as valuable as an unsecured card with the same credit limit from a prime lender when you apply for a card and get your application manually reviewed.

That's news to me, I didn't know that BOFA had their Travel Rewards available on their secured card?  I had only heard of the 1-2-3.  You're absolutely right though about it's not being publicized, not sure why the 1-2-3 rewards (or even better the Travel ones if that works for you) make it the best secured product around.  

Their website last I checked actually says something like $4999, but I recently had a 5K secured card through them (post their listed limit on their website) so I know it's not entirely accurate.

@bahbahd: the only secured card I know that will go up to 50K is the SDFCU (State Department) and actually I think it tops out at 100K; comes with a EMV chip too which is the only secured card I'm aware of which does that if you travel in Europe at all.  I looked into it when there was a good chance of my being sent to the UK but while the project got killed, it did look like a good card.  +1 to Crashem for that information originally.

        
Message 23 of 27
YahComb
Established Contributor

It wouldn't surprise me, boa offers secured versions of the 123, power rewards, upon rejection for unsecured versions, so it makes sense that the base version of the travel rewards has a secured version too.

When those cards graduate you'll have a heck of a time trying to get them to drop the annual fee-even though unsecured versions come without an af. But it its possible
EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 24 of 27
HiLine
Blogger

Oops, I wanted to say 'Cash Rewards'. Sorry. I don't know if their Travel Rewards card also a secured version. Never seen and never asked. 

Message 25 of 27
mt2va
Established Contributor

I have a USAA AmEx secured card and it doesn't report as secured.  Looks just like any other credit card when you review my credit reports.

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 26 of 27
TrishN
Established Contributor

USAA you have to have family member of military to joint these member

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.