Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured vs unsecured

tag
TrishN
Established Contributor

Secured vs unsecured

My question is:

Secured and Unsecured. Is it same reporting and they both reporting like credit card?

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Secured vs unsecured

@TrishN wrote:

My question is:

Secured and Unsecured. Is it same reporting and they both reporting like credit card?

Generally secured cards report as secured (few exceptions, NFCU, Cap One, USAA secured credit card to my knowledge); however, they make no difference as far as FICO scoring is concerned and both report as revolving accounts - credit cards; the secured detail is a note in the margins which doesn't factor into the scoring algorithm and as such they're useful for building or rebuilding one's credit report and score.

        
Message 2 of 27
TrishN
Established Contributor

What about BOA secured card. Do they report secured or just revolving ?

1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 3 of 27
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@TrishN wrote:

My question is:

Generally secured cards report as secured (few exceptions, NFCU, Cap One, USAA secured credit card to my knowledge); however, they make no difference as far as FICO scoring is concerned and both report as revolving accounts - credit cards; the secured detail is a note in the margins which doesn't factor into the scoring algorithm and as such they're useful for building or rebuilding one's credit report and score.

it's good to note that even if your Fico is ok some companies watch out for sub predatory lenders so you have to be very careful. Don't settle for a terrible company like First Premier where you'll just waste your money. if your building or rebuilding always use secured no matter what imo. Also get a secured card that graduates. Digital credit union, Navy Federal, and many other banks are the ones you want. have those cards for a year and start applying for prime credit cards. In a manual review secured cards are great cause it can show lenders that you do not live paycheck to paycheck.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 4 of 27
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

OpenSky reports as a normal revolving CC, all depends on the bank I suppose

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 5 of 27
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@TrishN wrote:

What about BOA secured card. Do they report secured or just revolving ?

Secured but it graduates reliably.  Personally I don't worry about secured vs. unsecured when it comes to building, and the BOA secured with the 1-2-3 rewards package is really about as good as you can possibly do from a secured card perspective.

        
Message 6 of 27
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@TrishN wrote:

My question is:

I've read that USAA secured cards do report as Secured.

Don't know as I don't have experience, but thats what some ppl on here have reported.

Message 7 of 27
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ccnewcc wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@TrishN wrote:

My question is:

I've read that USAA secured cards do report as Secured.

Don't know as I don't have experience, but thats what some ppl on here have reported.

USAA secured loans definitely report as secured (personal experience); however, whenever I have mentioned that fact as a possibility with their secured credit cards, it has always been stated differently by people who currently have one.  That may have changed at some point again as I can't remember the topic in the last 2-3 months, but as of latest information that's what's been stated.

        
Message 8 of 27
TrishN
Established Contributor

Is it the best if you handle big CL like 10k better than 1k secured?

1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 9 of 27
distantarray
Established Contributor

@TrishN wrote:

Is it the best if you handle big CL like 10k better than 1k secured?

like stated secured cards are best option when building or rebuilding, but if your in prime credit score territory 720+ then apply for the best cards and for the ones you want, higher limits are good cause it makes your fico score a steady stream instead of a rocky road with credit/debt utiity.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.