Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Service Power Travel Rewards Credit Card Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Security Service Power Travel Rewards Credit Card Question

Hey guys,

Just looked at a chart from themanwhocan saying that this card offers 3.3% on both gas/travel as seen in this chart. Is this still the best restaurant/gas card?

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Security Service Power Travel Rewards Credit Card Question

best restaurant card (all restaurants, I believe you can still choose Fast Food as a US Bank Cash+ category) yes. 
Gas - nothing special. 

As soon as I can figure out if the points earned with this card can be used as a statement credit, I may need to walk into my local branch and become a member.

If they do, I probably won't need to apply for anything with Chase after all. For now, I was planning on going for an AARP Visa for 3% back on dining, and eventually a Sapphire Preferred for the bonus, and travel (will be flying to South Korea once or twice per year for the forseeable future).

Message 2 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP - even if it were the "best" card (depending on the individual and spend profile), keep in mind that membership may not be available for a variety of individuals based on geographical restrictions.
Message 3 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
OP - even if it were the "best" card (depending on the individual and spend profile), keep in mind that membership may not be available for a variety of individuals based on geographical restrictions.

+1.

This card is not very widely available.

The other thing to keep in mind is simply spreading rewards around. Yes, 3.3% dining is nice, but if you have a 2% card, it's not going to be a massive difference and depending on spend may not even be important.

Message 4 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Right, and other caveats for dining, e.g. if you value URs highly enough, 2UR per $ on CSP will outdo 3.3%    And if you have a Citi 5x Forward, that is also better!

Message 5 of 13
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

best restaurant card (all restaurants, I believe you can still choose Fast Food as a US Bank Cash+ category) yes. 
Gas - nothing special. 

As soon as I can figure out if the points earned with this card can be used as a statement credit, I may need to walk into my local branch and become a member.

If they do, I probably won't need to apply for anything with Chase after all. For now, I was planning on going for an AARP Visa for 3% back on dining, and eventually a Sapphire Preferred for the bonus, and travel (will be flying to South Korea once or twice per year for the forseeable future).

I was once told by someone who has that card, that there is no statement credit option. You can redeem for Amazon gift cards at 1 point = 1 cent.

If someone can provide more details on the redemption options, that would be useful.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Gas - nothing special. 

I was once told by someone who has that card, that there is no statement credit option. You can redeem for Amazon gift cards at 1 point = 1 cent.

If someone can provide more details on the redemption options, that would be useful.

It's documented on their website pretty extensively; was just options for giftcards at 1:1 demoninations when I looked into it 2ish months ago.  Amazon GC's spend same as cash but given the easy options for 5X there, I would've personally chased other GC's... the problem of course being most of those would be restaurants, which again, would rather have it applied to a default spend thing but c'est la guerre.

Ultimately I skipped it.

        
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Gas - nothing special. 

It's documented on their website pretty extensively; was just options for giftcards at 1:1 demoninations when I looked into it 2ish months ago.  Amazon GC's spend same as cash but given the easy options for 5X there, I would've personally chased other GC's... the problem of course being most of those would be restaurants, which again, would rather have it applied to a default spend thing but c'est la guerre.

Ultimately I skipped it.

So which restaurant card did you go for? 

Message 8 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Gas - nothing special. 

Ultimately I skipped it.

So which restaurant card did you go for? 

CSP and called it good; had the Freedom and Ink already and what travel I do aligns pretty much exclusively with Chase partners so made sense for me to go that route, even if losing .8% or thereabouts if I redeem restaurant spend UR badly.  If I redeem it well, definitely outstrips it though admittedly it'd be a heavy restaurant spend to make up the AF alone if I weren't getting other benefits out of the CSP.

Otherwise might've picked this card or more likely the laudable AARP card to push my Chase marker a little further... and that's only because I was too dumb to pickup a Forward back in the day when I had the chance.

        
Message 9 of 13
Ron1
Super Contributor

It is a good card to have. They offered me 5K points when I signed up.

Ron.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.