Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking CU that offers CC

tag
Emdee_MD
New Contributor

Seeking CU that offers CC

I am a member of a local credit union where I live; that is associated with the employer of both my parents. I had an auto loan through them, but it has since been paid off; and they do not offer any CC's or anything so I would much rather move my money or open an account and establish a relationship with a CU that has these products. I was seeking a good credit union, that offers CC's. I looked at NFCU, but that would require my cousin to sponsor his dad, who could in turn sponsor my mother, who could in turn sponsor me. Needless to say thats not going to happen.

I was also looking at DCU, and PenFed. +/- 's of each? I already have a mortgage from last year thats now been sold to WFHM, and my car is paid off so I am not too concerned about that.

NFCU Flagship - 24k; CapOne Venture - 12k; Chase Slate - 9k; Chase Sapphire - 7.5k; NFCU NavChek - 5k; Amex BCE - 6.5k; Discover IT - 6k; BarClays - 9k;
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Seeking CU that offers CC

@Emdee_MD wrote:

I am a member of a local credit union where I live; that is associated with the employer of both my parents. I had an auto loan through them, but it has since been paid off; and they do not offer any CC's or anything so I would much rather move my money or open an account and establish a relationship with a CU that has these products. I was seeking a good credit union, that offers CC's. I looked at NFCU, but that would require my cousin to sponsor his dad, who could in turn sponsor my mother, who could in turn sponsor me. Needless to say thats not going to happen.

I was also looking at DCU, and PenFed. +/- 's of each? I already have a mortgage from last year thats now been sold to WFHM, and my car is paid off so I am not too concerned about that.

DCU: good customer service, great low rate CCs, easy to get approved for CC, application for membership has been taking a while lately, not great rewards

PenFed: great customer service, great rewards CCs, comparatively more difficult to get approved for (want to be around 720 range, if not higher), decent APRs

Good luck in whichever you choose! If you plan on getting cars ever again in the future, PenFed has fantastic rates on auto loans through their car buying service. DCU isn't half bad themselves, but PenFed does give lower rates for higher tiers of credit. same for mortgages!

Message 2 of 12
Cali_Credit
Frequent Contributor

DCU is awesome with high limit Cards, LOW Rates and great Loans! My only issue with with there website design but there updating this month and i can't wait to see it Smiley Happy

Current Fico's: TU 797 / EQ 785 / EX 775
Wallet: US Bank Business Edge $16,000 I Chase Ink $18,500 | US Bank Cash + Visa Sig $15,000 | Amex PRG NSL | Barclay Arrival+ WMC $10,000 l Amex BCP $20,000 | PenFed Visa Sig $9,000 | DCU Plat. $10,000 | Logix $10,000 | Discover $18,900 | WalMart $10,000 | Paypal MC $15,000 | Barclay NFL $3,400 | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMC $34,500 | J C Penny $5000 | Target $2000 13 Personal & 2 Business CreditCards
Message 3 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

What state do you live in OP?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 12
Emdee_MD
New Contributor

I live in Maryland. 

NFCU Flagship - 24k; CapOne Venture - 12k; Chase Slate - 9k; Chase Sapphire - 7.5k; NFCU NavChek - 5k; Amex BCE - 6.5k; Discover IT - 6k; BarClays - 9k;
Message 5 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Emdee_MD wrote:

I live in Maryland. 

Same here. Do you work for the state by chance? In a homeowners association?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 12
Emdee_MD
New Contributor

I just had 2 interviews for MDOT. But do not currently work for the state. But I was looking into SECU if I get either position. I am currently a member with LMFCU (Lockheed Martin Federal Credit Union). I am in Baltimore County. Just havent had much luck searching. 

*edit* and no HOA. that was 1 thing I looked to NOT be in when I was buying my house haha. 

Message 7 of 12
boomhower
Valued Contributor

DCU is a very good credit union.  Just make sure you gain membership before applying for the credit card.  Their membership apps have been getting backed up with their verification process.  But once approved for membership the CC process is very quick.  Typically low rates and high limits. 

Penfed:  Easy to get approved for membership but CC's are a different story.  They are extremely conservative.  Before I would apply I would have a spueeky clean report, very low utility and no new accounts for the previous 12 months.  Preferably not INQ's from the last 12 months either.  They are very very tight.  Pyramiding debt is their famous denial reason for those with good credit, i.e. recent accounts. 

Aliant is another good option.  For an online bank they are the ACH hub kings. 

Good luck. 

Message 8 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Emdee_MD wrote:

I just had 2 interviews for MDOT. But do not currently work for the state. But I was looking into SECU if I get either position. I am currently a member with LMFCU (Lockheed Martin Federal Credit Union). I am in Baltimore County. Just havent had much luck searching. 

*edit* and no HOA. that was 1 thing I looked to NOT be in when I was buying my house haha. 

I mentioned HOA because Tower Federal Credit Union will let you in if your a HOA member. 

Have you looked into MECU??

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I agree with boomhower. DCU, PenFed and Alliant. One thing about Alliant is that they do not participate in shared branching but you can make deposits/withdrawals through the COOP network. I only mention this in case you ever want to go inside a branch- you would have to go to an Alliant Branch. I belong to Dcu and Alliant and have never gone into either FWIW.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.