Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking advice and a gameplan for higher credit limits

tag
Roper

Seeking advice and a gameplan for higher credit limits

First time poster here.

I have decided that I want (for kicks, I guess - no pressing reason) some significantly higher limits on my existing credit cards or some new cards with much higher limits. 

Seeking the group's advice of the best way to attack it

Current cards balance/limit

CitiAdvantage:  8000 bal - 37,500 limit

FIA/Texans Credit Union  0 bal - 37,300 limit

Discover: 0 bal - 13,300 limit

Amex Blue: 0 bal - 7,300 limit

Chase 1: 0 bal - 7,500 limit

Chase 2: 3000 bal - 10,000 limit

I have had all these cards at least 6-10 years and a Chase one for like 15 years

Income: 440k - all w-2 income 

Fico: 760ish - zero hard inquiries in the last year - I don't think I have even applied for a credit card in the last 5-6 years.

I don't use the cards all that much and even when I do I am a bit lax in paying them off that month and they may have a balance for a few months.

- Do you think I should just ask for a CLI on the Citi and Texans CU (and/or others)? and how much do you think I may be able to increase?

- Or is that a waste of time and I should just apply for some high limit premium type cards?

I don't mind a document financial review but of course, I would not do that unless required.

Any advice would be appreciated

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
colinstu
Regular Contributor

Re: Seeking advice and a gameplan for higher credit limits

I think Chase should be able to help you out get some much higher limits. Which chase cards do you have now? You don't specify. Should be able to move your Chase limits around too. 

How long have you had the Amex? Ever get any CLIs on it? How do you like the blue? Would you rather have a BCE/BCP/ Amex card with an AF? 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 2 of 8
Roper

The Chase cards are not high end - they are Slate cards. I had some regular Chase cards from years ago and they converted them to Slates when I took advantage of some BT offers years ago.

The AMEX was opened sometime in 2006. I don't think I have received a CLI in the last 2 years, probably because it doesn't get used much.

I don't mind an annual fee.

Thanks

Message 3 of 8
Apinzon2374
Regular Contributor

You can do a SP CLI on your AMEX card on their website. Chase will do a HP for a CLI (I'm not sure if they'll use the same HP for 2 CLI or if they pull twice).

Capital One Quicksilver | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday
Scores: EX: 725 | TU:742
Message 4 of 8
colinstu
Regular Contributor

Apply for Chase Freedom and/or Chase Sapphire Preferred. Then move your CL from your Slate cards onto those (they might not let you move all of it). Make sure they're paid off in full first. 

Try for a 3x CLI on that Amex Blue. Since your income is over 100k they might ask for a W-2. The 3x CLI would be under 25k total new CL though so they might not ask for it. If you've been good with Amex I see no problem you having a new $21,900 CL on that card. Anything higher than 3x you might get some warning messages from them so I wouldn't go over that. Once you do that CLI you will not be able to do another for another 6mo. 

Once that card is CLI'd, check out their other offerings to see if any of them interest you. They have some nicer cards, and will be able to transfer some of your Blue's CL over to the new card if you wish. 

That's how I'd play it right now if I were you. Don't see the point in pushing that CU or Citi card any further. 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 5 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Is your income level new? If you're making that much I find it strange you would need a BT offer for anywhere near the CL of the Slate you have. I would pay them off unless they are currently at 0%.

CSP application would most certainly net you a large starting CL and then you could transfer some or all of the CL that you want to the CSP just for a larger line. (You can even transfer from the CSP to the older one if you want, but with the rewards why not just keep it on the CSP? When you're done with the CSP and don't want to keep it then you can transfer it over to the slate. I would then PC that slate to the Freedom just for the cash back 1% unlimited.)

Also, Discover should be able to SP CLI you as well. Just call them and explain that you are evaluating your cards and want to make sure that your Discover card can/will fit your needs in the future that you want the ability to have a larger spending ability, and you know that your income can support it so you want to see what the system can offer.

As stated above, the Amex CLI 3x should be utilized and completed as soon as you are eligible for this.

(At this point, any new TL for you should be a very large line -- the Hyatt, Marriott, etc would all be large starting CLs. I wonder what your starting CL for the Barclay Arrival would be as well.)

Most of your cards will not grant high limits without some serious usage through them, so if you really want them I suggest maybe using them and showing your ability to pay them off.

Whichever route you choose, good luck and please let us know your successes! Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Recently someone posted about getting their Citi card up to $150+K (and then got large increases on their other cards)  He/she had a long, 20 year + relationship with them, but with your income you should be attractive.  I would go there first, and maybe consider switching to the higher end cards, such as Citi Prestige or the AA Exec version.

I don't know anything about your other high card, I would also work on that.

The other advice here, going for 3x CLI and applying for Freedom etc, I don't think that will meet your goal of significant increases in the short term.  But you can try it all I guess!

Message 7 of 8
Roper

I am not that old of a guy but still have a fairly long history with chase (almost 20 years) and they are my primary bank, so going the Chase route for the Sapphire (Preferred?) card is probably a good idea longer term. I think Chase would like to increase its touchpoints with me and I would hope they would at least match or beat the CL I have with Citi and FIA/CU. Will also try the AMEX and Disc softpull CLIs.

Some of these cards are relics from the old days when I carried alot of cc debt, even though I had high income. Nowadays, I just use my debit card for even large purchases so haven't used my ccs as much as I could have been. I am sure I have missed out on many many (many) thousands of points/miles and bonus offers.

Thank you very much everyone for the advice. I will evaulate, take some action and then report back.

If anyone else has additional good ideas for me, please let me know.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.