Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking advice on closing a credit card account

tag
nero123
New Visitor

Seeking advice on closing a credit card account

Hi everyone. So glad to have come across a forum dedicated to this subject.

I'm doing all that I can to keep my credit score high and climbing. I'm up to 4 credit cards now (a balance of $500 on just one of them). I'm thinking it would be a good idea to close one of them since 4 is too many. Am I right in assuming this won't impact my score? Am I also correct in that the best move is to keep the oldest and newest card going?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: Seeking advice on closing a credit card account

As long as you're carrying a balance, closing a card CAN hurt your score by raising your utilization rate. (So, for instance, if you have $2,000 in total credit and are carrying a total balance of $500, your util is 25%. But if you close one card that has a $500 credit line, you then have $1,500 in total credit with a total balance of $500, or 33%.)

For the short term it doesn't matter which card you close because even a closed card (in good standing) will usually report for 10 years. But most people here would still probably say not to close the oldest card. And many would say not to close any unless you're trying to get rid of annual fees. I say go ahead and close a card you don't have a good use for. Just be aware of its likely impact.

Message 2 of 5
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@nero123 wrote:

I'm doing all that I can to keep my credit score high and climbing. I'm up to 4 credit cards now (a balance of $500 on just one of them). I'm thinking it would be a good idea to close one of them since 4 is too many. Am I right in assuming this won't impact my score? Am I also correct in that the best move is to keep the oldest and newest card going?

Thanks.

If it does not have a AF it's no reason to close it! Use it once every 3 or 4 months and SD it

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 3 of 5
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@nero123 wrote:

Thanks.

Many here will advise you not to close any accounts, but only you know how many you are comfortable handling.  If you feel that four is too many for you, then absolutely close one.  There may be a score impact if your available credit isn't high relative to your balances.  In order to give you more accurate advice, we really need to know, at the very least, what the credit lines are on each of your credit cards, which one has the balance and which one you plan to close.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 4 of 5
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Leadberry wrote:

@nero123 wrote:

Thanks.

Many here will advise you not to close any accounts, but only you know how many you are comfortable handling.  If you feel that four is too many for you, then absolutely close one.  There may be a score impact if your available credit isn't high relative to your balances.  In order to give you more accurate advice, we really need to know, at the very least, what the credit lines are on each of your credit cards, which one has the balance and which one you plan to close.

The more TL's you have the thicker the file the better. Yes I know after you close it will be on your file for 10years!!! Just my 2 cents

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.