Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking advice on timing of CLI requests

tag
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

Seeking advice on timing of CLI requests

Greetings.

I have been rooted firmly in the garden for several months (7+ months), and I am trying to figure out what is the reasonable thing to do.The ultimate long term goal would be for a mortgage in 2018.  So, I was hoping folks here could offer some advice about strategically leaving the garden and timing of CLI requests. There is a TL;DR summary at the end.

I am wondering if it make sense to take a moment to step out of the garden to request HP CLI on my Chase and Citi accounts now instead of this fall. A little background on each:

• Citi Double Cash. Approved in 10/2015 for CL$9500. My 7th statement just cut, and I have not yet been able to get an offer for SP CLI. 
  • Chase Freedom. This card was originally a WaMu Platinum Visa that I obtained in 2008. It had a $2800 CLI. After WaMu was bought out, this became a Chase Platinum Mastercard. I took a HP in 2011 to PC the card to a Chase Freedom. I moved $1500 of the CL to my Marriott VS because I needed a little more for travel. I like this card and recently have moved back to using it more frequently. I typically pay off my cards weekly, but the CL makes it difficult to make this a regular daily driver. though I think I will eventually ask to PC to the FU. My request for this card would be to CLI and upgrade to VS if CLI granted. 

My current FICO8 scores are EQ736/TU740/EX730. In terms of inquiries, I have 5 EQ, 3 TU, 4 EX. In terms of inquiries < 1 year old, then its 2 EQ, 2 TU, 2 EX. My monthly reported utilization is <1% on one CC. 

I don't know what Citi pulls for HP CLI. I have read on MF that Chase double pulls EQ/EX for HP CLI (though I don't know if that's always the case). I do have a BK7 from 2007 on my reports, and I burned both Chase and Citi.  I know that EX with be pulled when I apply for my auto financing (using captive lender). 

TL;DR: One of my goals this year is to request CLI on two of my accounts. I had originally planned on doing this when I apply for financing to buyout my auto lease later this year (expires in October). I am wondering if it is reasonable to take the HP and request those CLI now and let the inquiries age and my score recover over the next couple months before I apply for auto financing. Or, should I go for it all at the same time and experience a bigger, temporary score drop? Or, should I apply for auto financing then look for CLIs? 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

3 REPLIES 3
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Seeing advice on timing of CLI requests

If you don't get back behind that fence ....Hu the nerve of these gardeners....Security Lol

That being said if you have a plan and it benefits your needs by all means go for it 

The GC family will still be there when you return with open arms Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 4
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

MJ -

Thanks! I don't know that I want to leave the garden early, but I figured it's worth asking.

I guess I just don't know what would be best in maximizing the likelihood of getting the CLI while not causing my FICO score to drop like a brick at the same time. I'm not so worried about the auto financing part. My question really is: "Is it better to spread out my HP requests or should I just do it all at one time?"

I don't take leaving lightly, but I want to make sure I'm doing what's best for my CR for the future (2018 mortgage). 

And, I haven't left yet! (I just couldn't ask the question in the garden, as not to tempt others!). 

Message 3 of 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

@iheartwings wrote:

MJ -

Thanks! I don't know that I want to leave the garden early, but I figured it's worth asking.

I guess I just don't know what would be best in maximizing the likelihood of getting the CLI while not causing my FICO score to drop like a brick at the same time. I'm not so worried about the auto financing part. My question really is: "Is it better to spread out my HP requests or should I just do it all at one time?"

I don't take leaving lightly, but I want to make sure I'm doing what's best for my CR for the future (2018 mortgage). 

And, I haven't left yet! (I just couldn't ask the question in the garden, as not to tempt others!). Heart

This is just me:

My preferences has always been to lump them together 

So I get rid of them together is my thinking but again that's just me 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.