New Contributor
Grover627

Seeking new credit after Barclay approval

I have read by some on here that Barclay has a reputation of cancelling new accounts after learning that there have been applications for new credit. I was approved for Barclays Reward MC a few weeks ago, with a $1500 limit. I plan on using this as my gas card, keeping my limits low, and PIF each month. How long though, should I wait to apply for other cards, while keeping Barclays happy?

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Re: Seeking new credit after Barclay approval

Grover627 wrote:

I have read by some on here that Barclay has a reputation of cancelling new accounts after learning that there have been applications for new credit. I was approved for Barclays Reward MC a few weeks ago, with a $1500 limit. I plan on using this as my gas card, keeping my limits low, and PIF each month. How long though, should I wait to apply for other cards, while keeping Barclays happy?

YMMV but i would say 5-6 months 

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/6/13

New Contributor
Grover627

Should I also avoid asking for CLI with current cards during this wait?

Super Contributor
enharu

Don't worry about asking for CLIs. Go for it
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Grover627 wrote:

Should I also avoid asking for CLI with current cards during this wait?

No seek as many as you wish I would just try and avoid the HP unless I thought it was a lender that gave BIG CLI's 

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/6/13

Established Contributor
emptypockets

In 9/12 and when I got my last card with Barclays, I got their card last (after I had opened 4-5 new cards in 6/12). They noticed the new cards, and warned me to not app for "awhile" to avoid adverse action. When I specifically asked what was "awhile" the CSR said 6 months. I waited, but that being said I think if you use their card and pay it on time, as you plan too you should be fine with them. They seem to like people who use their card regularly.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Nordstrom Visa,US Bank Cash+, Chase (5), Huntington Voice, UMB Visa, Nasa FCU Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Citi (4), Discover IT, Walmart Discover, Sam's MC, Cabela's Visa, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, 5/3 RLR MC, Macy's AMEX; Several store cards.

Current Scores: EQ (6/14): 800; TU MyFico (6/14): 814; Walmart TU Fico 08 (10/2014): 813; EX (6/14): 775
New Contributor
Grover627

OK- One more ignorant question from me... I was considering applying for a store card or two. With my new Barclays card, should I put off doing that, or are store cards in a different catagory than other cards?

Contributor
withaspark

I Re: Seeking new credit after Barclay approval

[ Edited ]

As another Barclays data point, I applied for 4 cards in the 6 months before opening a CC acct with Barclays and two more at the same time that showed as open on my credit report the following two months and no AA. In fact, they bombarded me with offers for an obscene bonus for spending over $750/mo for 3 months. The only thing I can think of is that I made sure no cards reported any balance at the end of period but showed very large actual payment amounts (proved use but didn't let any balances post)...maybe even though they didn't like the new accounts...use with absolutely no CC debt is low risk. YMMV.

Established Contributor
KIPPIE12

Re: I Re: Seeking new credit after Barclay approval

Some squeek through, some don't.  Why chance it, unless you really need another card?  Barclays gets nervous if they see new accounts opened after theirs. Think it through, and be careful.  They will watch what is going on with your reports for 6 months afterwards.

Current Score: EQ: 807 TU: 811 EX: 813 (Fico) 8/14
Goal Scores: 760 Across all 3-Finally

Citi TY Premier 36k| Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| CapOne 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Sams Discover 10k|Chase IHG Select Visa 26k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 10k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 10k|Chae IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}