Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting a dedicated airline card

tag
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Selecting a dedicated airline card

@Anonymous wrote:
I need to re eval scores next summer, make it to EQ/EX 680 per credit pulls. Gonna be tough. Citi seems the best option, and the hardest for me to acquire. $450 is steep, but worth it for the benefits that I want. I want luxury perks when traveling. I can meet spend by putting rent on.
The remainder of my credit portfolio will be cash back cards and 1 point rewards card. I've enrolled in AA and am registering my current cards to gain points so when the score is 680+, and the bonus is decent, I'm app'ing.

Gotta plan for the future portfolio and since 6 months -1 yr is the desired wait time between apps, I'm on target.

If you want true.travel perks then you would be looking at Amex Plat or Citi Prestige not an airline card.  You can transfer MR points to BA Avios.  Wait for Amex 100k offer.

I suggest that you really do your homework and see what kind of travel perks you want, 

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 21 of 30
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Citi Prestige and amex plat don't really offer airline perks. Plus BA transfer is meh now.

Airline cards offer perks on airlines. What is the benefit of paying 450$ for a credit card for "travel perks with airlines" and then still having to pay 25$ each way to check a bag.

I know what you're thinking, "that's what the airline credit is for," but that isn't usually thought of as the best use of it. For $80-$100,one is really just better off getting a dedicated airline card. 4 round-trip flights and your airline credit with the plat is gone, then back to paying for luggage. Plus if you travel with a companion and each check a bag, that is 2 r/t flights.

From what I understand OP is looking to get airline perks, something that in reality, neither the Prestige or plat offer. While I think a Prestige or plat is a great pairing to complete a travel card portfolio I don't think it's the best fit here.

Message 22 of 30
redpat
Senior Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Citi Prestige and amex plat don't really offer airline perks. Plus BA transfer is meh now.

Airline cards offer perks on airlines. What is the benefit of paying 450$ for a credit card for "travel perks with airlines" and then still having to pay 25$ each way to check a bag.

I know what you're thinking, "that's what the airline credit is for," but that isn't usually thought of as the best use of it. For $80-$100,one is really just better off getting a dedicated airline card. 4 round-trip flights and your airline credit with the plat is gone, then back to paying for luggage. Plus if you travel with a companion and each check a bag, that is 2 r/t flights.

From what I understand OP is looking to get airline perks, something that in reality, neither the Prestige or plat offer. While I think a Prestige or plat is a great pairing to complete a travel card portfolio I don't think it's the best fit here.

That is why I think CSP gives you so many options paired with Amex Plan or Citi Pres. gives you the best of both worlds for heavy traveler that doesn't need to be dedicated to one airline or their partners.  Yes, I know luggage isn't included but I rather have flexibility and my other travel perks with plat more than cover any luggage cost.

I'm just not a big fan of dedicated airline cards. 

BA is still attrative for short hauls domestically if you are near AA hubs.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 23 of 30
NRB525
Super Contributor

I'm not sure I keep all the airline cards that I will eventually get, but it's not a "one and done" credit card market environment.

These CCC are giving away big miles / points bonus in the interest of getting cardholders to sign up. Who am I to say no to all those good offers, when I can postpone the decision and sort out which card I want to keep, later, after I have a vacation?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 24 of 30
redpat
Senior Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

I'm not sure I keep all the airline cards that I will eventually get, but it's not a "one and done" credit card market environment.

These CCC are giving away big miles / points bonus in the interest of getting cardholders to sign up. Who am I to say no to all those good offers, when I can postpone the decision and sort out which card I want to keep, later, after I have a vacation?

When you do a lot of business travel my vacation is at home, lol.

Message 25 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Again, nobody wants to hear it, but issuers are not intending to just give out free vacations. They expect people to use their bonus points, see the value, and then continue using the cards to get more points. While one is free to accept every offer they can get, and its true issuers want you sign up, its not true that they only anticipate one to keep a card for a year.
Message 26 of 30
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

AA has some of the strongest actual card products in my opinion. Southwest is great for the companion pass. Delta is great if you're trapped in a delta hub. lol.

Depending on how much you can spend, I'd toss my hat in for AA. Get the executive and plat select card, at 75k and 50k respectively. It will require around 10k spend, but worth it in my opinion. that's 125k miles right off the bat. Exec card will get you an admirals club membership for as long as you hold the card, Global entry/TSA Precheck credit, priority check in,  and some other perks that the AA cards come with. Early boarding (earlier than any other AA card) and free checked luggage. You can always cancel the executive card after year 1 and roll the limit into the plat select (or vice versa depending on what you like)

I wouldn't count on Citi allowing to roll an entire limit into another card. I've seen people say they've done it, but a senior account manager recently said they do not.

Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 27 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Getting any card with the expectation of rolling the limit can be a bad plan. Policies change all the time. There is no God given right to be able to PC, downgrade, roll limit etc. There have been times when people have had no option but to close the card if they didn't want to pay the AF.
Message 28 of 30
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The remainder of my credit portfolio will be cash back cards and 1 point rewards card. I've enrolled in AA and am registering my current cards to gain points so when the score is 680+, and the bonus is decent, I'm app'ing.

Caerfully research rewards redemption for flights and ensure that you're not spreading your spend too thin to redeem in a timely manner for the travel you want to redeem for,  A NRB525 said, also carefully consider the cost of the travel you're redeeming for.  I had plenty of UR points and MileagePlus miles when I booked a trip to NY earlier this year but the fare was so low that it didn't make sense to redeem points and miles.  Best value is generally attained by redeeming for premium international travel but, again, do your due diligence and run the numbers for your spend.

While your focus is on flight benefits you may want to consdier other options if you're looking to build points/miles.  While I have a UMPE for flight benefits on United I earn most of my United miles with my CSP and other UR cards.  Also don't overlook bonus offers, shopping portals, etc for earning points/miles.

I'd +1 the comment on not counting the card for upgrades.  If you want better upgrade potential it usually comes with elite status with a carrier's program.  In some cases, even those in the first elite tier don't see much in the way of upgrades but it all depends on the specifics.

Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditscholar I'm in healthcare.  I travel 2-3x's a year. Never left the continent, but plan to late 2016/early 2017. Bu Yao  Must not! Smiley Happy

San Diego is closer than LAX but can use either. With the more limited San Diego, Southwest and American are quite prevalent. 

Learning the the concept of handling non dedicated cards for mile redemption and while that works for some, and I admit I don't fully understand how to properly use, I do see the advantages of a dedicated brand card.  A friend has the Delta Gold and the always available seat upgrade for more leg room makes me salivate. They are in a Delta Hub. On a different note, another has a Hilton w Gold status.  Free cookie and upgrades. Don't knock a free cookie.

My thoughts are this, no qualms purchasing my short domestics, TX, NV, NoCal, AZ & registering my card on a FF program to roll miles into my card once I get one.  Once a bonus is obtained to a fruitful amount, off the continent I go discounted, then again, I have not fully done my research for expiration. Smiley Sad

The main purpose of my want is not necessarily miles redemption, 1/1 ratios, I know, it's for the preboarding, checked bag, flyers club, exit row seating for a gal with long legs. Shoot, I'm flying to Dallas in a month via American and ready for my cramped kneecaps. I say, someday, I'll get a discount and get on first and not bash my legs.

So far, I'm leaning towards Citi's Aavantage or Chase's Southwest. While United has the most hubs it seems, they are my least desired carrier due to experience.  I have miles stored with Jet Blue and Alaska but those are from my last decade traveling to and from Boston. No expiration btw.

i will scour this thread and the boards for holders of Aavantage and Southwest and complimentary cards/programs. (Southwest most likely won't get me to Asia I think)

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.