Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self imposed timeout!!!!

tag
Ford725
Established Contributor

Self imposed timeout!!!!

I had to get a grip really fast! This time last year my credit was in the toilet. Finally started to claw my way out last September. Had been accustomed to constant  rejection  because of my past mistakes. Anyway, slowly  but surely  the approvals started rolling in and I couldn't  stop myself. I started racking up Comenity cards through SCT. Bad, bad idea! I was apping with no clear goals, just doing it because it felt good to be accepted. After racking up may last approval from JCP with a $100 credit limit, I knew I had to stop or I would cause tremendous setbacks in my credit recovery. 

I began to evaluate my so called progress and use the garden for what it's for. I started closing cards I knew I would not use, like KingSize, Buckle, Victoria Secret, and Bonton. Most had toy limits anyway. I realized if I wanted the Big Banks to take me seriously, I had to do some pruning and weeding. At the same time I started to focus on the quality of the card, not quantity. I added Macy's and Bloomingdales. 

Now, rather than look for new credit, I want to grow what I have. I think Synchrony is going to be really  good to me. They gave me increases on Walmart, 100 to 3500 and Chevron, 500 to 2000. I'm going to continue  the trend with the rest in the hopes that when I am ready to app again, my increased limits on the cards I do have will keep me out of TOY LAND!!!

Lastly, this forum has been invaluable to me. I can't  thank you all enough for sharing your stories, insights and advise. I'll update as I get those increases and let you know my successes in a few months when I go for the BIG DOGS!!! Blessings 

My wishlist is: AMEX, BARCLAY, CHASE, CAPITAL ONE, CITI

Current Scores: FICO08 670 EQ, FICO08 703 TU, FICO08 661 EX
Goal Score: 700's all 3 (07/2016)
Walmart $6k | Chevron $4k | Firestone $2.2k | Capital One Venture $5.4k | Quicksilver One MC $1.3k | Capital One Platinum MC $1k | Bloomingdales $12k | Amazon Prime $6k | Ebates Visa $12k | The Gap Visa $7k | Banana Republic Visa $7 | Brylane Home $2.6k | Express $2.5k | Overstock $1.85k | Macy's $11.3k | Stash Visa $12k | Lowe's $12k | Care Credit $5k | Macy's Amex $2.1k | Chase Amazon Visa $.5k | Cabela's Club Visa $2k
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Self imposed timeout!!!!

Bravo 

Plan your work and work your plan 

Keep us posted 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 40
Ford725
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Bravo 

Plan your work and work your plan 

Keep us posted 

Thank you myjourney, for sure. Appreciate it!

Walmart $6k | Chevron $4k | Firestone $2.2k | Capital One Venture $5.4k | Quicksilver One MC $1.3k | Capital One Platinum MC $1k | Bloomingdales $12k | Amazon Prime $6k | Ebates Visa $12k | The Gap Visa $7k | Banana Republic Visa $7 | Brylane Home $2.6k | Express $2.5k | Overstock $1.85k | Macy's $11.3k | Stash Visa $12k | Lowe's $12k | Care Credit $5k | Macy's Amex $2.1k | Chase Amazon Visa $.5k | Cabela's Club Visa $2k
Message 3 of 40
selena
Contributor

I remember I started out that way. As soon as I was approved for one I just kept apping away. It took me going through the process of trying to buy a car to slow me down. I ended up the a 600ish credit score and too many inquires and very low aaoa. Now I'm have 700s across all 3. So it will all happen in due time Smiley Wink Best of luck!

As of March 2016:
Equifax 735
TransUnion 702
Experian 731
Message 4 of 40
Ford725
Established Contributor

@selena wrote:

I remember I started out that way. As soon as I was approved for one I just kept apping away. It took me going through the process of trying to buy a car to slow me down. I ended up the a 600ish credit score and too many inquires and very low aaoa. Now I'm have 700s across all 3. So it will all happen in due time Smiley Wink Best of luck!

Thank you Selena. Congrats on your success. Looking for the same. That $100 bucks from JCPENNY was my wake up. Appreciate the well wishes! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought the hard part was cleaning up some things on my report and patiently waiting until they updated BUTTTTTTT

I am finding out the hardest part is gardening!  My scores have gone up 100+ points since November.  My latest boost was TU putting me at 750.  It is taking every ounce of restraint I have not to apply for SOMETHING lol  It totally destroyed me when I first saw how low my scores were.  Now that I am getting pre-approvals in the mail, I am feeling the love and it is SO hard to say no.   DH and I are planning on buying a house this year.  We decided to go ahead and apply in May.  His scores are now lower than mine so they will use his vs. mine for mortgage.  I have that little red guy sitting on one shoulder saying, go for it, your scores don't matter.  The halo guy is on the other shoulder saying, be patient, you will get any card you want after you have your house.  My neck is sore from going back and forth listening to these guys lol  My goal is to have up to 5 GOOD cards with limits above $5k and a mortgage loan (for now).  

It will take a lot of patience and restraint but you can do it!!!

Message 6 of 40
Ford725
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought the hard part was cleaning up some things on my report and patiently waiting until they updated BUTTTTTTT

I am finding out the hardest part is gardening!  My scores have gone up 100+ points since November.  My latest boost was TU putting me at 750.  It is taking every ounce of restraint I have not to apply for SOMETHING lol  It totally destroyed me when I first saw how low my scores were.  Now that I am getting pre-approvals in the mail, I am feeling the love and it is SO hard to say no.   DH and I are planning on buying a house this year.  We decided to go ahead and apply in May.  His scores are now lower than mine so they will use his vs. mine for mortgage.  I have that little red guy sitting on one shoulder saying, go for it, your scores don't matter.  The halo guy is on the other shoulder saying, be patient, you will get any card you want after you have your house.  My neck is sore from going back and forth listening to these guys lol  My goal is to have up to 5 GOOD cards with limits above $5k and a mortgage loan (for now).  

It will take a lot of patience and restraint but you can do it!!!

You see them too (little red guy, halo guy)...........LMBO!!!! Smiley Very Happy they keep me up all night. Thank God, halo guy is louder and bigger now! He's the one that jammed the shovel in my hand. I have to be very strategic about my next set of moves. I'm looking for my first BRAND NEW car in December. Thank you for sharing. I pray all goes well for you and your DH in the purchase of your new home. Thanks again. Stay tuned...........

Message 7 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

They keep me up all night too (hence it is why I am here at 1:30 a.m.) LOL  The 3rd little guy (the joker)  is sitting there laughing at the other 2 while waving loan papers!  Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 40
Ford725
Established Contributor

Bahahaha!!! I'm sitting with a patient trying everything to stay off the APPROVALS forum. Reading all those approvals will get a person tricked REAL quick.......Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 40
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

I can handle approvals, but I have so much credit right now, and tons of 0% to work with! there is no desire for my other cards. I want sallie Mae next sept/October, ink cash next May 2016, maybe discover in July (or not), and add on CSP maybe December 2016.

Around March 2017, probably convert Aviator to the Ring. So I have a plan, and want to keep the creditors I have now happy. Of course, something new might come up, but I do want something that will transfer points and handle trips.

My SimplyCash is the best cash back card so far, after the two months, they just apply the cash to your account. Also serves as my 3% dining when 5% isn't applicable. The amazon carries that for small businesses and places that don't accept Amex, but that card will be absorbed into the ink cash.

Happy gardening.
Signature needs updating
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.