Sentimental Credit Card?

tag
CraveMazda
Contributor

Re: Sentimental Credit Card?

@yudeology101 wrote:

@CraveMazda wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

We can all agree that having that first credit card when we were young or back in rebuilding our credit is lot like our first kiss.  Do you have any? 

I have no attachment to the first card that helped me rebuild - it was a secured card. I do however have an attachment to my Zync. I knew on my way well out of rebuilding my credit when I was approved for my Zync. I had to apply twice before I was approved. Even though AMEX no longer offers the Zync and they got rid of Packs - I will forever keep that card. With the Sync program I justify the $25 AF. And as strange as it sounds they Zync is just PRETTY Smiley Happy

One of my good friend has the Zync, oh boy am I jealous...IT IS such a purrty looking card!

True true Smiley Happy Crisp white with sparkly stuff. 

Cap 1 Plat: $750 | Zync: NPSL | NFCU Rewards MC: $23K | Nordstrom Visa: $10K | USAA Amex: $4K | Chase Freedom: $5K | Discover IT: 11,500K | BCE: $ 11K
Message 21 of 52
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@yudeology101 wrote:

We can all agree that having that first credit card when we were young or back in rebuilding our credit is lot like our first kiss.  Do you have any? 

My JCP card.  When I got the pre-approved offer last year, it showed I was starting to fix things.  It was my first card in a long time without an AF.  It was my first card to get a decent CLI and it's my first (and currently only) card in my current rebuild to give me a four-digit CL. 

(edited for a major typo!)

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 22 of 52
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

i would have to say my capitol one secured card....the thought that i will cancelling it before the af hits is bringing tears to my eyes

Message 23 of 52
Stralem
Established Contributor

My Journey card from Capital One. It's my oldest active card and my first unsecured card.

1% back all purchases, 1.5% bonuses at years end, and no annual fee isn't a bad deal.

I rarely use it now, but I like to carry it around nonetheless for its unique looks; Sure, there are other transluscent credit cards are out there (Amex Blue family comes to mind), but how many of them come in KFC Red?

I call it that color because a cashier at KFC thought it was a company card when I handed it to her to pay for my artery-clogging "food" one fine Sunday afternoon. I found her reaction to be pretty amusing.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 24 of 52
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

My first card was a Sears credit card...the white one that was slightly wider than regular cards, and it never fit cmfortably in the slot...lol!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 25 of 52
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

My Journey card from Capital One. It's my oldest active card and my first unsecured card.

1% back all purchases, 1.5% bonuses at years end, and no annual fee isn't a bad deal.

I rarely use it now, but I like to carry it around nonetheless for its unique looks; Sure, there are other transluscent credit cards are out there (Amex Blue family comes to mind), but how many of them come in KFC Red?

I call it that color because a cashier at KFC thought it was a company card when I handed it to her to pay for my artery-clogging "food" one fine Sunday afternoon. I found her reaction to be pretty amusing.

Mine is Cap1 Journey, too.  I did get it PC'd to QS over the summer, but I like that KFC Red better than my current QS toyish grey.  I still have the physical card,  there's something about it that I don't think i can destroy it.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 26 of 52
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Wish I still had my first card(s) to be sentimental about !  Carte Blanche in '72, first AMEX Green in '76.  Hindsight is always 20/20....!

The one card in my current stable, though, that I keep for sentimental reasons, is the Zync/Unicorn.  $25 is a small price to pay for a bit of history.  Other AMEX cards may come and go, and I may or may not apply for them, but the one constant will be my Zync. 

Message 27 of 52
Involver
Valued Contributor

Cap One secured ... Before I knew anything about how to properly rebuild my seriously damaged credit history I applied for and was approved for that card which kind of got me on my way to turning around my financial situation.  I promptly got a CLI on that card but it's still sitting at a $300 limit.  I'll likely cancel it this year before the AF as I have some significantly better unsecured cards but without it, I'm not sure where I would be.

Message 28 of 52
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

Wish I still had my first card(s) to be sentimental about !  Carte Blanche in '72, first AMEX Green in '76.  Hindsight is always 20/20....!

The one card in my current stable, though, that I keep for sentimental reasons, is the Zync/Unicorn.  $25 is a small price to pay for a bit of history.  Other AMEX cards may come and go, and I may or may not apply for them, but the one constant will be my Zync. 

Classic!  Assuming that you don't have the physical card any longer, but was it plastic back then, too? or Paper?  can't seem to find pictures online

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 29 of 52
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@thom02099 wrote:

Classic!  Assuming that you don't have the physical card any longer, but was it plastic back then, too? or Paper?  can't seem to find pictures online

The AMEX Green was plastic.  Design was not too much different from current design if I recall correctly.  I don't think it had quite the "sparkle" that the current card has, was more of a flat green, and not as much filligree around the edges.  Nope, don't have either of the physical cards, I was young and "not too credit smart" back then, wish I knew then what I know now.  And that backdating..... sigh....!

Message 30 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.