Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seriously Paranoid with all the recent accounts closed by chase

tag
victornewman
Contributor

Re: Seriously Paranoid with all the recent accounts closed by chase

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been reading the recent threads in regards to chase closing accounts without notice. I was wondering if this will probably happen to us that are in the rebuilding stages.  Most importantly,  ME, LOL. Seriously though, I wanted to know if there is a specific way to use their cards (freedom). Since being new to credit an all, I have always PIF. I have manage to keep my utilization at 1%. Can someone please shed some light on how chase likes to see usage on their cards.  I know many of you have had chase for years, an know what to do an what not to do. I did open one other account after chase. I got approved for the Barclay's rewards MasterCard (CL 750). Although the Freedom an the Slate are my highest limit, 2200 AN 2000, I wasn't sure if I may potentially spook them with the recent Barclay's approval. Thanks in advance guys.

You're not alone with the paranoia.  I feel the same way.  I've been approved for 2 Chase cards this year.  I PIF each month as well and have often made several payments a month since I get reimbursed for my company travel expenses.  I think I'm just going to make one payment a month, paying in full and I am NOT applying for anything in 2015.  And if Diners decides to report, it may send me into total panic mode.  I love my Chase cards that much.  I understand that not everyone is always completely forthcoming when it comes to the details of why their Chase cards have been closed but I DO feel that some have been very honest and completely undeserving of having their cards closed.

Message 11 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@heyarrnold wrote:

There's always more to the story!  

It's so easy to just point the finger .... I get it, but not everyone is a blatant liar and some of us are actually looking for some rationale, logic and reasoning - sorry you can't seem to understand that and can't see that numerous people - not just here on this board - are having similar problems.  So much easier to jump in and be the critic then be the problem solver, I know Smiley Frustrated

More then likley, the OP has nothing to worry about - that was enough said.

Message 12 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@negg wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Despite what any thread anywhere says, in my opinion, there's always a "reason." 

Unless you're popping lates left and right, maxing out your card and making min payments, or apping for a new card every day, you'll most likely be fine. 

+1.  People never divulge the "whole" truth.  CC companies just don't close account cause they are bored on a Tuesday.  There's a reason, what that reason is...who knows.  Pay your bill on time, don't run a bal for a year, don't apply for cc every week and you will be fine. 

It's so easy to just point the finger .... I get it, but not everyone is a blatant liar and some of us have told the "whole" truth because we are actually looking for some rationale, logic and reasoning - sorry you can't seem to understand that and can't see that numerous people - not just here on this board - are having similar problems.  So much easier to jump in and be the critic then be the problem solver, I know Smiley Frustrated

More then likley, the OP has nothing to worry about - use your cards wisely and appropriately and pay your bills on time - that should be enough said.

The constant finger pointing that people aren't truthful is ridiculous on this board - we are talking about corporate America here and Corporate banking - do you all read the same news everyday that I do?  I feel like I am in a different realm or rather should be.

Message 13 of 58
NRB525
Super Contributor

@victornewman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been reading the recent threads in regards to chase closing accounts without notice. I was wondering if this will probably happen to us that are in the rebuilding stages.  Most importantly,  ME, LOL. Seriously though, I wanted to know if there is a specific way to use their cards (freedom). Since being new to credit an all, I have always PIF. I have manage to keep my utilization at 1%. Can someone please shed some light on how chase likes to see usage on their cards.  I know many of you have had chase for years, an know what to do an what not to do. I did open one other account after chase. I got approved for the Barclay's rewards MasterCard (CL 750). Although the Freedom an the Slate are my highest limit, 2200 AN 2000, I wasn't sure if I may potentially spook them with the recent Barclay's approval. Thanks in advance guys.

You're not alone with the paranoia.  I feel the same way.  I've been approved for 2 Chase cards this year.  I PIF each month as well and have often made several payments a month since I get reimbursed for my company travel expenses.  I think I'm just going to make one payment a month, paying in full and I am NOT applying for anything in 2015.  And if Diners decides to report, it may send me into total panic mode.  I love my Chase cards that much.  I understand that not everyone is always completely forthcoming when it comes to the details of why their Chase cards have been closed but I DO feel that some have been very honest and completely undeserving of having their cards closed.

Which Chase cards do you love and why?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 58
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I have no Chase cards.

Don't need one.  I have enough credit ($40k) for my income of $75k.

One thing I learned spending 4 years in Ch 13 is how to pay with cash.  I'm not going to go app crazy just to get credit I don't need.  I gardened a year prior to my app spree this week.  I opened 4 accounts and closed 3 accounts I didn't need.  

Back to to the garden till next year.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 15 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will not be getting anymore CC anytime soon. I am just waiting for BOA to unsecure my card. I am hoping October 2015 Discover will do the same. Maybe toward the end of 2015, I can either App for the CSP or PC my freedom to the CSP. As of right this moment, I am trying to hold on with dear life to my ONLY unsecure cards I have "Chase" an of course Barclay's. I'm EXTREMELY nervous right now.

Message 16 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@negg wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Despite what any thread anywhere says, in my opinion, there's always a "reason." 

Unless you're popping lates left and right, maxing out your card and making min payments, or apping for a new card every day, you'll most likely be fine. 

+1.  People never divulge the "whole" truth.  CC companies just don't close account cause they are bored on a Tuesday.  There's a reason, what that reason is...who knows.  Pay your bill on time, don't run a bal for a year, don't apply for cc every week and you will be fine. 

It's so easy to just point the finger .... I get it, but not everyone is a blatant liar and some of us have told the "whole" truth because we are actually looking for some rationale, logic and reasoning - sorry you can't seem to understand that and can't see that numerous people - not just here on this board - are having similar problems.  So much easier to jump in and be the critic then be the problem solver, I know Smiley Frustrated

More then likley, the OP has nothing to worry about - use your cards wisely and appropriately and pay your bills on time - that should be enough said.

The constant finger pointing that people aren't truthful is ridiculous on this board - we are talking about corporate America here and Corporate banking - do you all read the same news everyday that I do?  I feel like I am in a different realm or rather should be.

Not everyone here is pointing the finger.  I think people that claim you and others like OP of the other thread aren't telling the 'whole' truth are ridiculous.  I'm a bit surprised that they somehow think banks, of all entities, don't make stupid decisions that have no basis of facts to justify that decision.  Whether it's a computer algorithm or a person making these decisions they can and do make pathetic decisions that affect people's financial well being.  The only thing that we should interpret from these types of cases is not that someone isn't telling the truth but that it can happen to any of us and that's why you have to diversify your credit portfolio.  There is no need to be paranoid but be cognizant of cases like this and taken appropriate measures to protect yourself.

Message 17 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could these topics be related to those who purchase gift cards or some sort to obtain cash back bonus??? Is this the possible reasons of account closures? I can't help but to be EXTREMELY PARANOID.  These topics are all over the forums an growing every day. The only thing I am guilty of is trying to obtain un secured CREDIT CARDS. YES, I have applied for 5 but only received 3/5. I just hope over the recent month (December) I didn't just set myself up for account closure.

Message 18 of 58
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@negg wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Not everyone here is pointing the finger.  I think people that claim you and others like OP of the other thread aren't telling the 'whole' truth are ridiculous.  I'm a bit surprised that they somehow think banks, of all entities, don't make stupid decisions that have no basis of facts to justify that decision.  Whether it's a computer algorithm or a person making these decisions they can and do make pathetic decisions that affect people's financial well being.  The only thing that we should interpret from these types of cases is not that someone isn't telling the truth but that it can happen to any of us and that's why you have to diversify your credit portfolio.  There is no need to be paranoid but be cognizant of cases like this and taken appropriate measures to protect yourself.

You spend enough time in the cold hard world of myfico...everyone starts to look guilty...everyone...

Message 19 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Could these topics be related to those who purchase gift cards or some sort to obtain cash back bonus??? Is this the possible reasons of account closures? I can't help but to be EXTREMELY PARANOID.  These topics are all over the forums an growing every day. The only thing I am guilty of is trying to obtain un secured CREDIT CARDS. YES, I have applied for 5 but only received 3/5. I just hope over the recent month (December) I didn't just set myself up for account closure.

I wouldn't worry.  you'll be fine.  Yes, you can get in trouble with Chase if you buy gift cards in large numbers.  You haven't done anything wrong.  

Message 20 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.