Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sha na na na Heyeya GOODBYE!!

tag
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Re: Sha na na na Heyeya GOODBYE!!

There was a point in time where the cards were invaluable.  The sub prime market needs what Crap 1 offers and I wouldn't have ever made it without them.  Like anything else in life, however, things change.  It's simply not worth carrying around an extra card for the once in a blue moon I stumble into a place that doesn't accept the Fidelity AMEX.  Not to mention the fact that 1.5% isn't 1.5% anymore after you pay the AF.  Yes, you can jump through hoops to get the fee waived year after year through EO, but what kind of price do you put on the time and effort that requires?

I doubt anyone means to imply that there is not a valid valuable service to be had from sub-prime leders.  I think the point is that there comes a time when it makes sense to move on.  After the foul taste they've left me with, I can't imagine they would ever offer anything good enough to tempt me back.

Message 31 of 51
tcbofade
Super Contributor

After their take over of HSBC, I ended up with FIVE cap one cards...no annual fees on any of them, and the interest rate isn't my worst, so they're staying for a while.  Perhaps next year, they'll hit the chopping block.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 32 of 51
yfan
Valued Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

There was a point in time where the cards were invaluable.  The sub prime market needs what Crap 1 offers and I wouldn't have ever made it without them.  Like anything else in life, however, things change.  It's simply not worth carrying around an extra card for the once in a blue moon I stumble into a place that doesn't accept the Fidelity AMEX.  Not to mention the fact that 1.5% isn't 1.5% anymore after you pay the AF.

Umm... the Capital One Qucksilver card has no AF. The QS ONE card has an AF, but not the original QS. The difference is that Cap One offers the QS1 card to those they consider as having less than excellent credit.

Message 33 of 51
soxfan1984
Established Member

It seems as though there are various degrees of satifation with Capital One, I am of the opinion that the AF and low limit made it not worth the space it takes up in my wallet. Yes they did help me when I needed somebody to take a chance on me but they did it for $59.00 AF. If others like Am-Ex, Barclays, Citi and Discover are treating me better no AF's (except Am-Ex) and higher limits it seems as though the relationship with Cap 1 was a rather abusive one, why would I stay in it. Just my view on Capiral One. Yes we do need accounts to achieve that fICO score goal we all have but I wont be taken advantage of. They did swich my card to a Quicksilver which advertises no AfF, but they made an exception for me, they charges an AF on a card that normally has no AF, I was happy to PIF and cancel it.

Message 34 of 51
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@soxfan1984 wrote:

It seems as though there are various degrees of satifation with Capital One, I am of the opinion that the AF and low limit made it not worth the space it takes up in my wallet. Yes they did help me when I needed somebody to take a chance on me but they did it for $59.00 AF. If others like Am-Ex, Barclays, Citi and Discover are treating me better no AF's (except Am-Ex) and higher limits it seems as though the relationship with Cap 1 was a rather abusive one, why would I stay in it. Just my view on Capiral One. Yes we do need accounts to achieve that fICO score goal we all have but I wont be taken advantage of. They did swich my card to a Quicksilver which advertises no AfF, but they made an exception for me, they charges an AF on a card that normally has no AF, I was happy to PIF and cancel it.

No-one is blaming you for not staying in the relationship, a lot of the arguments here is that Cap One isn't all bad for all people, despite the impression you may gain from this forum!

Are you sure you didn't get a QS One, that is the quicksilver with the AF.  Some 1.5% rewards, but an AF because of the lower credit profile needed.

Message 35 of 51
soxfan1984
Established Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

@soxfan1984 wrote:

No-one is blaming you for not staying in the relationship, a lot of the arguments here is that Cap One isn't all bad for all people, despite the impression you may gain from this forum!

Are you sure you didn't get a QS One, that is the quicksilver with the AF.  Some 1.5% rewards, but an AF because of the lower credit profile needed.

You're right they do seem like a great card issuer for low risk customers which I finally am (with FICO of 733 EQ and & 768 on TU). I was told over the phone it would be a Quicksilver, the card they sent me says Quicksilver on it,  I am ot sure if Quicksilver One has a different looking card.  I cant argue with the success of Cap1 theyre a profitable credit card giant, so they are obviously doing something right, but after 5 1/2 years of paying ontime and carrying a 30% balance for the sake of credit building, it would seem as though this is a great opportunity to retain a customer who would otherwise stay with them for my lifetime and earn interest and the fee associated with every transaction. I am not suggesting they owe me anything but the level of greed by refusing to switch to a no AF type card without reapplying and having another HP (reportedly on 3 bureaus) on my report seems to alienate customers rather than retain what would be an otherwise loyal customer. If they thought for a minute that it was not benefiecial to them to have me they would have closed my account, I simply decided to go with other card issuers and cancel Capital One, the return on a $59 annual fee seemed De minimus.

Message 36 of 51
fot1
Established Contributor

I could tel this was about Cap one before i even clicked on it..lol

Too many to list..
Message 37 of 51
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

There was a point in time where the cards were invaluable.  The sub prime market needs what Crap 1 offers and I wouldn't have ever made it without them.  Like anything else in life, however, things change.  It's simply not worth carrying around an extra card for the once in a blue moon I stumble into a place that doesn't accept the Fidelity AMEX.  Not to mention the fact that 1.5% isn't 1.5% anymore after you pay the AF.

Umm... the Capital One Qucksilver card has no AF. The QS ONE card has an AF, but not the original QS. The difference is that Cap One offers the QS1 card to those they consider as having less than excellent credit.

Yes, both my cards were QS1 as mentioned in the OP.  When I obtained the cards (One was former Orchard), that is correct, my credit at the time was far less than excellent.

My discontent grew out of the lack of growth on the cards.  As my credit profile changed, the cards did not. 

Message 38 of 51
ScarletFever
Frequent Contributor

Feels good, doesn't it? Loved being able to kick First Premer and First Savings to the curb.Congrats!

.Citi FICO-836 Barclays TU FICO; 827. Discover Fic0-826; CK:EQ-821; TU-819; CS-819; Total credit-$165,500: NASA-29,700; AMEX BCP-17,000; AMEX EDP-20,000; CSP-14,400; Barclay Ring-10,000; Discover It-9,000; U.S.Bank Sig Visa13,000; United TeleTech Federal Credit Union-$9000; Citi Double Cash-9900; Citi TYP-7,700; Discover Cashback Bonus-7,200;Chase Freedom-6,500; AMEX HHilton Honors-5000; Barclay NFL Extra Points-$5000. Utility always 1-2%
Message 39 of 51
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

I don't mind my Cap1 QS. Decent limit and no AF. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 40 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.