Sha na na na Heyeya GOODBYE!!

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Sha na na na Heyeya GOODBYE!!

@keithB wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Well, I have to put on my Capital One cheerleader hat (they pay me $2 every 18 months to do this): while there is a lot of pain if you start with rebuilder cards, the relationship for those going in later can be fine.   Reps aren't great (but I've had bad luck with Amex as well) but the QuickSilver is really an excellent card, with the no-minimum, earn as transactions post, reward system.

So those who want to spend extra keystrokes calling it Crap One: don't rule out getting a QuickSilver later on because of earlier issues.  Yes, it may not "grow" with you, but with credit in decent shape, big CLs don't matter and you probably won't be putting a huge amount on uncategorized spend anyway.

I don't get why people want to waste keystrokes and call it Crap one.... Just tells us their maturity level which would be pretty low in the Teens range imo 

While I still View Capital one as "sub prime" Specially when they give me $500 credit limit while I have much more with Chase, Citi, Amex, Discover and GE I still like my QS card for it's 1.5% CB ... Just be using it for buying Water or etc at CVS or wherever and let the CB grow to something substantial and get it as CB or maybe a gift card 

It's the mob mentality.  It's easier to hate on something and gain acceptance with the fellow haters then accept the rejection they feel when they get denied for the credit line increases they feel they are entitled to Smiley Very Happy

I actually have fun with my CapOne secured card - I discovered the card design center and get a new design each month, haha!  I'm like you, the CapOne I use for all my little stuff and I save the larger lines for the bigger purchases.  But I'm not much of a baller, I suppose - even with 9 other bankcards somehow I still find room for my CapOne in my wallet Smiley Happy

I don't love Cap 1 and I still view them below Chase and etc but they do serve a purpose with the lower tiered cards and even their QS and Venture cards which are great cards.  I get why people might be unhappy with them but I wouldn't say they are terrible. 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 41 of 51
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

The Wal-Mart card reported as closed today.  No change to my EQ Fako score at all.  I assume closing the QS1 will have the same nil effect when it reports.

Message 42 of 51
soxfan1984
Established Member

If you dont mid me asking how old the accounts you're closing are. I just closed a 4 or 5 y.o. cap one acocunt, I have a Home depot card also that only about 1y.o. wondering if its ven worth it to keep, Citi MC / Barclays Visa, Am-Ex and Discover it all have rewards and better rates. I' reluctant to close any account that has no AF. TIA

Message 43 of 51
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@soxfan1984 wrote:

If you dont mid me asking how old the accounts you're closing are. I just closed a 4 or 5 y.o. cap one acocunt, I have a Home depot card also that only about 1y.o. wondering if its ven worth it to keep, Citi MC / Barclays Visa, Am-Ex and Discover it all have rewards and better rates. I' reluctant to close any account that has no AF. TIA

I wouldn't close any card even if I hated the Customer Service unless it has Fees or an AF... Just sock drawer it and about every 4-6 months go buy a bottle of watter at CVS or something with it 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 44 of 51
39Xelor
Established Member

i'm going to try the EO later today or tomorrow and try and PC my capital one plat card to a VentureOne card.. VentureOne actually isn't that bad of a card.. and no AF!

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Message 45 of 51
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@39Xelor wrote:

i'm going to try the EO later today or tomorrow and try and PC my capital one plat card to a VentureOne card.. VentureOne actually isn't that bad of a card.. and no AF!

The Venture One actually IS a bad card, at least compared to the alternative Cap One cards.  It earns 1.25c per $, Quicksilver earns 1.5c per $.

But if that isn't an option, what is the Plat giving you?  Less than 1.25%?

Message 46 of 51
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@soxfan1984 wrote:

Both my QS1 cards were 3+ years old.  Wal-Mart was 6 months old.  You shouldn't notice any impact on your score for 10 years assuming closing them doesn't hurt your utilization.  Wether or not to close them is up to the individual.  There are certainly plenty of valid arguments to be made for leaving them open.  It simply wasn't worth the headache to me any more.

With the Home Depot card don't forget that they will give you either 5% off at the register or 6 months at 0%.  I keep the card for the 5% off.  You just have to ask the cashier for it and it's instant.  No waiting for cash back or anything.

Message 47 of 51
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

My QS1 finally reported closed today and my EQ FAKO score went up 8 points from yesterday.   baaahaha

Certainly it could have gone up for any number of reasons, but it's a funny coincidence.

Message 48 of 51
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

FIrst off to Wacdenney - congrats on pulling that trigger!  I too am reviewing when to close my CapOne cards.  Maybe next spring.

I have shared my sentiments about CapOne in the past and it certainly is a love/hate relationship.  I needed them badly at one point and now, not so much.  They are SDd at this time.

My dilemma is that once my scores jump last Nov due to several actions I took I was suddenly overtook by the urge to apply and get some cards from issuers like Chase and Citi.  So enamored with new status I have actually set myself back probably in growing my lines of credit.  Time will tell, but I do know for sure with CapOne it will take me years to get a 10K limit with them on the cards I currently have.

If I know what I know now I would have gotten one new card - maybe Chase Freedom.  Let that grow while continue working on my derogs.  And once they were totally cleaned off and my scores were in the 700's, do some serious apping that would have yielded much higher starting CLs in my opinion.  My perfect world would be 4--5 cards all at 10K plus credit limits.

But I have put myself in the position of chasing CLIs with a few cards to achieve this.  Setting aside AMEX and their 61day trick, it's not going to be easy!

Culling the herd will be part of the end game.

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 49 of 51
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Unlike Chase Capital one does SP's for CLI and EO and Facebook has pretty good success

Message 50 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.