Frequent Contributor
Meltdownblitz

Shared secured loan or 0% APR Credit card?

I was planning on making a somewhat big purchase that for once I would probably need a few months to pay off. Would it be better to go with a shared secured loan to pay off the purchase or leave the balance on a 0% apr cc that I would have to apply for and take a few months to pay off?

Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.

Mega Contributor
LS2982

Re: Shared secured loan or 0% APR Credit card?

Meltdownblitz wrote:
I was planning on making a somewhat big purchase that for once I would probably need a few months to pay off. Would it be better to go with a shared secured loan to pay off the purchase or leave the balance on a 0% apr cc that I would have to apply for and take a few months to pay off?

Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.

I would do the 0% CC. When you say secured loan are you putting all of the money for the loan in?

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Frequent Contributor
Meltdownblitz

Shared secured loan meaning using the same amount of my money i want to borrow as a collateral and making payments on it, as I make payments that amount of my funds becomes available.

Mega Contributor
LS2982

Meltdownblitz wrote:
Shared secured loan meaning using the same amount of my money i want to borrow as a collateral and making payments on it, as I make payments that amount of my funds becomes available.

Never heard of that before, that pretty neat. I would go with that, who offers that?

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

If your credit history is lacking in installment account history; I would do the shares loan... or even a CD secured loan. You may also look at a short term 401k loan as the interest gets paid back to you.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
Meltdownblitz

LS, as far as I know all credit unions. However the trick to do that is you have to have the money, hint the word "secured". However there is a small interest rate, usually under 3%. I believe they are not allowed to charge over 2-3% because it is a secured loan by the money you already have in the bank. I feel that this looks better to a lender checking your credit then carrying a balance on a credit card because its showing them you already have the money. In my opinion, when you carry a balance on a cc it's showing you are unable to pay it.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

[ Edited ]

They're actually great B/C banks supply them and report the positive history to credit agencies and it show as an installment loan.

I used one to boost my scores

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/6/13

Valued Contributor
navigatethis12

I don't understand how the loan is any different than actually paying for it outright. You said you give them the money as collateral, meaning that you don't have it anymore, yeah?

Also, lenders won't know that you are carrying a balance on a credit card, unless they actually look into the payment and balance history of the account, and they rarely do that. Taking a few months to pay off a card is not a big deal and I doubt any lender would look down on someone for doing such a thing.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

You can also do it with a CD

certificate of deposit and they pay interest on your deposit for the term of the loan. not much interest but non the least interest

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/6/13

Revelate

navigatethis12 wrote:

I don't understand how the loan is any different than actually paying for it outright. You said you give them the money as collateral, meaning that you don't have it anymore, yeah?

Also, lenders won't know that you are carrying a balance on a credit card, unless they actually look into the payment and balance history of the account, and they rarely do that. Taking a few months to pay off a card is not a big deal and I doubt any lender would look down on someone for doing such a thing.

You just can't access it; it's still yours.  Plus it does show up as an installment tradeline on one's credit reports; if one's report is lacking in installment history, I agree with the other posters it's a great solution.  Also as someone stated, some lenders (not all) allow you to secure it against a CD or other interest-bearing account.  In my case I financed $2500 at an effective APR of 2% with USAA.

LS: Virtually every bank that still offers personal loans (Chase and BOFA are notable exceptions in that they don't) can and will often gladly do a secured personal loan.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 673, EQ 8 707, TU 720, EX 702* (09/02/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ '04 (01/01/15)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}