Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shell Gas $99 hold for $10 worth of gas

tag
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Shell Gas $99 hold for $10 worth of gas

I know there was a thread a few months back talking about holds, and if I recall - in that thread I stated I never had a hold.  I must have been mistaken, because I just checked my account, and I have the above hold.

9.9 out of 10 times I simply pull into Costco and get my gas for my car (yesterday was that 0.1 time that I stopped somewhere else), but on my motorcyle, I'm about 50/50 between Costco and Shell....and still do not recall holds when I fill up my bike which usually comes under $10.

Can I expect this to fall-off within 7 days?

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
ricefed
Contributor

Re: Shell Gas $99 hold for $10 worth of gas

Most gas stations in my area hold $1. She'll is the only that holds $99 for some reason. It will release in about 4-5 days or as soon as the cc company processes the transaction.
NFCU cash rewards 10,000 -Chase Sapphire Preferred 6,900-Chase Slate 6,000- Amazon 10,000 - Walmart 10,000- lowes 12,000 - Kay jewelers 7,500 - Amex Zync NPSL - CarCare One 500
Message 2 of 16
adavis425
Established Contributor

@ricefed wrote:
Most gas stations in my area hold $1. She'll is the only that holds $99 for some reason. It will release in about 4-5 days or as soon as the cc company processes the transaction.

Here in GA, Kroger holds $150 for a couple of days. Smiley Surprised

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 3 of 16
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

@ricefed wrote:

Here in GA, Kroger holds $150 for a couple of days. Smiley Surprised

Jeezus

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 16
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

Filled up this morning...100.00 hold 

glad Its on  my credit card and not debit. I've never had it on debit 

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 5 of 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Some banks like BofA and Chase treat it as $1 hold, even though AMEX treat it as $100 hold.

My experience is that only Valero doesn't do holding, and actually put the real amount as hold. However Valero is not a top-tier gas, so I rarely shop gas there.

Message 6 of 16
adavis425
Established Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Some banks like BofA and Chase treat it as $1 hold, even though AMEX treat it as $100 hold.

My experience is that only Valero doesn't do holding, and actually put the real amount as hold. However Valero is not a top-tier gas, so I rarely shop gas there.

I called AMEX about this this first time it happened and was told by them that the MERCHANT sets the hold amount. Whenever I've bought gas on my debit card (which I try NEVER to do), it's been a $1 hold. So perhaps the merchant recognizes the inconvenience a $100 hold on a debit card might have and sets a debit purchase at a $1 hold. Who knows? Smiley Indifferent

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 7 of 16
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

However Valero is not a top-tier gas, so I rarely shop gas there.

Top Tier Gas is a marketing exercise by those that belong to it (per their own website), it has nothing to do with the ultimate quality of the gasoline.  It's just marketing.

Message 8 of 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

Top Tier Gas is a marketing exercise by those that belong to it (per their own website), it has nothing to do with the ultimate quality of the gasoline.  It's just marketing.

Top tier gas is about the amount of detergent in the gas, of course I know it has nothing to do with the quality of the gas. I rotate between my Safeway gas (which is a lot cheaper than Valero) and Shell/Chevron.

Message 9 of 16
mt2va
Established Contributor

I had a rather un-happy experience first time using my USAA AmEx (secured credit card) at Kroger.  They declined it and when I called USAA they explained it was because Kroger tried to put $100 hold on my $35 gas purcahse.  Funny thing is the sign at the pump says you can only spend a max of $100 on AmEx anyway so why would they try to put through such a big hold?

I normally always use my debit card and never have more than $1 hold.  I've used it at Kroger, Shell, Exxon, BP, Wal-mart, etc

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.