Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shell Gas Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shell Gas Card

Shell is offering a $25 Shell Gift Card when you sign up for a Shell Gas card by September 30th, and then purchase 100 gallons at Shell within 90 days of opening the account.

It caught my eye at the pump in the form of "earn 25 cents per gallon". Technically true, and it might be a good deal.

To help decide if it might work for you, take the number of average miles per year you drive, and divide by 4. Assuming 10,000 mile a year, divide by 4 and you get 2500 miles (in a 90 day window). Then divide that number by your average estimated fuel economy. Assuming 25 mpg from the example in progress, 2500 / 25 = 100 gallons of gas used.

If you're under 100 gallons, pass.
If you're well over 100 gallons, then it seems a good deal.
If you're over a 100 gallons, but close to a 100 gallons, your call.

If you have more than one vehicle, and plan to gas up all your vehicles at Shell, run the calculation for all your vehicles and add 'em up.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Shell Gas Card

Noah, any idea on minimum score needed for approval or the CRA they are most likely to pull?
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

They seem to be an EQ puller, CITI is the bank that services their cards, and I've seen some folks with scores in the low 500s getting a Shell Gas card. One or two have said it was their first and only card for a while as they began their credit recovery.

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take this...they denied me a couple of mths ago w/648 EQ Fico... Then...they turn around and approve me for 1,200 Drivers Edge card...then turn around and raise my CL to 3,500 when my Fico was 40 points lower.
Message 4 of 21
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

SGT_F wrote:
Take this...they denied me a couple of mths ago w/648 EQ Fico... Then...they turn around and approve me for 1,200 Drivers Edge card...then turn around and raise my CL to 3,500 when my Fico was 40 points lower.

No way!  That's pretty cool.
Message 5 of 21
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

SGT_F wrote:

Are you talking about the Shell card SGT.?
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah_Bodie wrote:
They seem to be an EQ puller, CITI is the bank that services their cards, and I've seen some folks with scores in the low 500s getting a Shell Gas card. One or two have said it was their first and only card for a while as they began their credit recovery.

Noah,

I just got denied for a CitiBank Platinum card with EQ of 638. Do I dare try for the gas card? I wanted ChevronTexaco, but they won't approve me because of BK in '98. (Although they gave DW a card with $300 CL and she has same BK) Can't figure that one out?

Sam
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

SpecFile...Yes the shell card. Then Homedepot storecard sent me a pre-approved offer today through citi bank. Almost 5k CL w/ them and can't get a gas card. No baddies at all.
Message 8 of 21
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

That's weird Sgt.
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I put in an online application for this card about 10 days ago and have not heard anything back as of yet. I know they have already pulled my EQ CR. Does anyone know how long it generally takes them to reply?

scores
TU- 661
EQ- 626
EX- 641

I was hoping for instant approval from their site but did not get it, I have no open collections on my account but a couple of CO's from this year, what are my chances that they approve this? This is just the Shell gas card.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.