Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shell card soft or hard pull for CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shell card soft or hard pull for CLI?

I have a Shell gas card which is issued by CitiBank.  Is a credit line increase a hard pull or soft pull? I signed into my Shell account and chatted with an agent.  He said he didn't know the answer but gave me the phone number (800-331-3703) to call and make a request for an increase. I called but the agent who answered said she didn't know the answer either although she could process the increase request. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Shell card soft or hard pull for CLI?

It's backed by Citi, I would fully expect a HP

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Absolutely HP from Citi, and in my experience on Home Depot (and wife with Best Buy) it has been a double pull (HP on two CBs).  If you enter the info on the Request A Credit Line Increase screen, then click Continue you come to a new window to verify the details.  Right above the Submit button:

By submitting this form you authorize Citibank, N.A. to obtain your credit report.

Exact same language and process for Shell, Home Depot, Best Buy and NTB/Tire Kingdom for me.  Citi's SP language always specifies that a credit report will not be required.  I'd be certain that you really want to take the HP (or maybe 2) for a CLI on that card.  Over the years I took a lot of them and Citi never budged on my starting line of $1250 for the Home Depot card (closed it and opened a Lowe's with $17k SL) but when we asked for $10k (from $2k) on the Best Buy card, it was approved immediately.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Outside of an auto-CLI, I have not heard of anyone receiving Citi CLIs without a HP.

Message 4 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Would it be a semi-auto CLI if you log in and there is a message from Chase on the main account screen prompting you to ask for a SP CLI?  My wife has received a Citi SP CLI.  Things have surely changed drastically since then, but in 2002 I was sent a "convenience check" from Citi offering to increase my credit line on the Shell card from $500 to $2025 if I used it.  I did, they did and that $25 at the end of the credit line has given me OCD issues ever since.  I bring it up because I didn't get a new inquiry from that, and it wasn't technically an auto-CLI.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you K-in-Boston 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Outside of an auto-CLI, I have not heard of anyone receiving Citi CLIs without a HP.

Plenty of people receive SP CLIs from Citi.  Happens all the time and they even tell you on your account page whether it will be an SP or they will need to pull a credit report.  SP CLIs generally become available 6 months after you open your account.

Message 7 of 8
texasman07
Established Contributor

Hey that's great ! Thanks !! My AA MC got its first SP CLI
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.