Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shop Discover cashback % question

tag
h4ldol
Contributor

Shop Discover cashback % question

I bought a camera from a Shop Discover retailer that offers 5% cashback, but after reading the terms & conditions, it seems that the actual cashback percentage is 5% for the retailer + 1% regular cashback for a total of 6% cashback.  Is this actually true or is it just 5% total (1% regular cashback + 4% cashback from the retailer)? 

From the terms & conditions:

Cardmembers who participate in a Cashback Bonus Program will receive the specified Cashback Bonus on ShopDiscover purchases made with your Discover Card in connection with these promotions during valid promotion dates in addition to your Cashback Bonus of up to 1% on each purchase.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

Re: Shop Discover cashback % question

You get the 5% plus whatever a purchase would have otherwise earned on your account (either .25% or 1% depending on your tier).
Message 2 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@bostonte wrote:
You get the 5% plus whatever a purchase would have otherwise earned on your account (either .25% or 1% depending on your tier).

That. +1

For your first $3000 spending in a year, your standard cashback is 0.25%. After that it is 1% cashback.

5% (or whatever return ShopDiscover offers) is added on top of the standard cashback.

Message 3 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@bostonte wrote:

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 8
h4ldol
Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@bostonte wrote:

That. +1

For your first $3000 spending in a year, your standard cashback is 0.25%. After that it is 1% cashback.

5% (or whatever return ShopDiscover offers) is added on top of the standard cashback.

Oh wow, I had no idea about the tiered rewards with Discover, and I've had it since 1994.  Good to know, and probably will mean that I use it less too.  I hate tiers and thresholds.

Nice that the cashback bonus for Shop Discover is added on top of the standard cashback percentage... regardless of whether it is 0.25% or 1%. 

Message 5 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

If you shop a lot online you can use ShopDiscover to reach that $3000 rather quick.

Keep in mind that $3000 spending threshold does not include spending from discount store (Walmart, Dollar Tree, etc), warehouse (Sam's Club), birthday bonus (first $250 spending on your birth month), and some other promotional offer. Also keep in mind that ShopDiscover does not count giftcard spending.

Message 6 of 8
h4ldol
Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

If you shop a lot online you can use ShopDiscover to reach that $3000 rather quick.

Keep in mind that $3000 spending threshold does not include spending from discount store (Walmart, Dollar Tree, etc), warehouse (Sam's Club), birthday bonus (first $250 spending on your birth month), and some other promotional offer. Also keep in mind that ShopDiscover does not count giftcard spending.

I believe it's the first $500 of spending now!   Too bad about the discount store spending not counting towards the $3000 threshold, since I do like Target.

Message 7 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

That sucks!!! Smiley Mad

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.