Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shop Discover restrictions when combined with merchant discount

tag
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Shop Discover restrictions when combined with merchant discount

Shop Discover has terms of "These offers are not valid in combination with any other offers." and state "Offer is not valid in combination with any offers found outside ShopDiscover."  Does this mean if I am to buy contacts through Shop Discover, that the Walgreens promo code of 20% off or the Vision Direct 25% off for first time buyers would invalidate Discover's 10-15% cash back offer?

I was hoping that I could get $300 worth of contacts for $225 from the merchant after 25% off promo code and then get $33.75 cash back on the $225 from Discover. Is this not possible?

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
lithium78
Established Contributor

Re: Shop Discover restrictions when combined with merchant discount

@bahbahd wrote:

Shop Discover has terms of "These offers are not valid in combination with any other offers." and state "Offer is not valid in combination with any offers found outside ShopDiscover."  Does this mean if I am to buy contacts through Shop Discover, that the Walgreens promo code of 20% off or the Vision Direct 25% off for first time buyers would invalidate Discover's 10-15% cash back offer?

I was hoping that I could get $300 worth of contacts for $225 from the merchant after 25% off promo code and then get $33.75 cash back on the $225 from Discover. Is this not possible?

If you use any merchant coupon code with a ShopDiscover purchase -- even a code for free shipping -- you won't get the ShopDiscover cashback.  They are real sticklers for that policy.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 46
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

This is very interesting.  I did not know that.

I made a purchase from Living Social a couple of weeks ago through Shop Discover and I noticed on my statement that I only received 1% back as opposed to the 5%.

I'm now guessing it's because the purchase had a $10 off promo savings code.

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 46
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Another loophole is , you dont have to use Discover card to get cashback.

Even if you check out with some other card, cash back still posts. I have tried it with Marriott and Hotels.com

Message 4 of 46
bahbahd
Established Contributor

What? That seems crazy.  You don't have to use a discover to get the cash back. But if you lower cash back with site provided promo code, then you don't get cash back.  How insaine. 

Message 5 of 46
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Haha Yes it's insane. So far I have got little over 100$ cash back without using Discover at checkouts.

Message 6 of 46
Express
Frequent Contributor

@bahbahd wrote:

Go for it! the worst thing they can say is No. Smiley Surprised It's going to be a HP anyway!

Sorry wrong form Smiley Sad

CL $408,200
Message 7 of 46
jdeleon
Established Member

wow perfect timing for a thread like this.

Question!

I am going to be purchasing a Macbook Pro and when shopping through Discover i get 5% back. NOW, Apple is having a promo where you get a free $100 gift card when purchasing a new macbook.

Will i still get the 5% back since the giftcard is added to the order automatically and not via a coupon code.!?!

Message 8 of 46
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

Haha Yes it's insane. So far I have got little over 100$ cash back without using Discover at checkouts.

proof please ???? unless u used part of it as the payment......i never see anyone report the full cash back without paid Discover card

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 9 of 46
Open123
Super Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

proof please ???? unless u used part of it as the payment......i never see anyone report the full cash back without paid Discover card

I've gotten full cashback on every shopdiscover purchase where I've used my Amex card.  Heck, I've even gotten cashback using a prepaid Visa through shopdiscover.

Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.