Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shop Discover restrictions when combined with merchant discount

tag
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

Re: Shop Discover restrictions when combined with merchant discount

@enharu wrote:
I think its a YMMV situation depending on the merchant. Shopdiscover and UR basically would just award you whatever cashback/points you should get as long as the merchant reports it and pay them the referral fee. So in a way, you are getting back part of the referral fees itself.

Some merchants are very strict when it comes to reporting purchases, while some are not. I did not get cashback for one of the purchases for Home Depot simply because the items were added to my cart in a new tab and the purchase was completed in that new tab. Some merchants on the other hand such as Bloomingdales simply just want you to buy something and will report the purchase.

And then there are some downright shady merchants that either take forever to report purchases, or simply don't until you open a claim and escalate the issue. They are basically trying to save on those referral fees until they are forced to pay up

Case in point, when I purchased an airline ticket with my Discover card and I had to call to ask about my cashback. Discover had to actually credit it because I made the purchase back in March and it was July when I noticed my balance was off.

I was also told by the Discover CSR that they pay the shopDiscover percentage in addition to the 1 (& hopefully 5%) cashback. So if the shopDiscover is giving 10% CB, you'll also get 1% back because you used your Discover card, so you're really getting 11% cashback.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 31 of 46
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Smiley HappyI know this is an old thread, but I figured i'd revive it since Discover Q4 5% category is online shopping.

I just purchased a couple of work skirts/pants from New York and Company.  I went through the shopDiscover portal, and I also used a $60 off coupon from their site.  I will report back on whether I received the 10% cashback for using shopdiscover.  It would be wonderful if I got the $60 off + 10% shopDiscover + 5% rotating category.  Like another poster said, I refuse to purchase a full retail price.  Smiley Happy

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 32 of 46
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:

Smiley HappyI know this is an old thread, but I figured i'd revive it since Discover Q4 5% category is online shopping.

I just purchased a couple of work skirts/pants from New York and Company.  I went through the shopDiscover portal, and I also used a $60 off coupon from their site.  I will report back on whether I received the 10% cashback for using shopdiscover.  It would be wonderful if I got the $60 off + 10% shopDiscover + 5% rotating category.  Like another poster said, I refuse to purchase a full retail price.  Smiley Happy

I am interested to know how it goes, i was looking to buy my mother an pair of ugg boots and they have the 10% thru uggs + 5% thru online shopping. I just want to make sure that both are applied. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 33 of 46
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Update:

I just got the '"you've earned extra cash back for using shop discover" email.

This was for my New York and Company purchase.

I also bought shoes from DSW, but I haven't gotten the email yet.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 34 of 46
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

When I use the free shipping promp code at footlocker I always get the cashback. Discover doesn't even pay cash back on shipping so it's not surprising. They give cash back on any sale / discount prices so far. I use it as my main card.

Now using a different card never heard that or thought to try it. Seems crazy. It does state you need to use your DS card I'm wondering how they know the amount to credit?

I did BT a purchase before I gor the cash back but I did get the CB email / CB on my statement like a week later.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 35 of 46
enharu
Super Contributor

@MoreRewards wrote:
When I use the free shipping promp code at footlocker I always get the cashback. Discover doesn't even pay cash back on shipping so it's not surprising. They give cash back on any sale / discount prices so far. I use it as my main card.

Now using a different card never heard that or thought to try it. Seems crazy. It does state you need to use your DS card I'm wondering how they know the amount to credit?

I did BT a purchase before I gor the cash back but I did get the CB email / CB on my statement like a week later.

The merchant informs Discover about the total amount of your purchase, less shipping and taxes.

I've been using ShopDiscover but paying for the items using other cards instead. Thus far I've gotten emails for almost all the purchases saying I got the extra cashback.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 36 of 46
vAirGo7
Regular Contributor

OMG! After reading this thread i suddenly aware of i should use Shop Discover to buy my contact lens. It is 10% cashback bonus! I just lose $34 cashback. Well, I just got my CSP so guess my mind keep thinking to charge eveything on it to meet the minimum spending.

Message 37 of 46
enharu
Super Contributor

You can use shop discover, and then pay for it using your CSP.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 38 of 46
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Wow -  I have an flight ticket to purchase in a few weeks - I usually go through Expedia - which I just found out is one of the sponsored merchants on Shop Disc.  I will try going through Shop Discover, but pay with Arrival -  If I am understanding things correctly -  I can get my Arrival points AND the online shopping 5% cashback  from Discover  - (Expedia  will not cover stand-alone tix - so extra bonus there).  However, if I use the promo code I recently received from Expedia, that disqualifies the 5% cashback bonus?

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 39 of 46
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

I smell a loop hole closing

But by golly it's been nice

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.