cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping Cart Trick (Jcrew, Preapproved!)

tag
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: Shopping Cart Trick (Jcrew, Preapproved!)

@ianl33t wrote:

I tried to do the shopping cart trick for a couple of sites (A&F/Express/GbyGuess/J.Crew) and got the preapproval for J.Crew. It only asked for the last four of the SSN/DOB and I was approved for $250! Now I didn't finish purchasing the item (I just picked a random item just to test this out), does it cancel out the approval or am I still okay? I'm assuming I'm okay, but just wanted to make sure. Thank you!

You don't have to purchase the item but obviously they give some $$$ off as incentive to use the card that day.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 41 of 55
ianl33t
Contributor

@injustifiiable wrote:

@ianl33t wrote:

I tried to do the shopping cart trick for a couple of sites (A&F/Express/GbyGuess/J.Crew) and got the preapproval for J.Crew. It only asked for the last four of the SSN/DOB and I was approved for $250! Now I didn't finish purchasing the item (I just picked a random item just to test this out), does it cancel out the approval or am I still okay? I'm assuming I'm okay, but just wanted to make sure. Thank you!

You don't have to purchase the item but obviously they give some $$$ off as incentive to use the card that day.

Yeah, saw what you are talking about. Was in the $60 range that they wanted to take off if I used it at that moment. Thank you for answering my question! Now I finally have a danged retail store credit card to add to my mix and with a soft pull to boot! (Love this site!) Smiley Happy
UPDATE: Decided to try my luck with Ann Taylor (figure I could get something nice for the lady and my mom when the time comes and got approved for $500!)

Starting Score: EX: 646, EQ: 624, TU: 639 (07/26/2013)
Current Score: EX: 694 (As of 12/17/2013), EQ: 644 (As of 12/21/2013), TU: 662 (As of 12/12/2013 - Barclays)
Goal Score: 700 in all three (07/26/2014)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 42 of 55
sham010379
New Contributor

Can someone please tell me what the shopping card trick is? I don't want to apply for Jcrew but sure want to SP and get prea pproved. Avoiding HP

Message 43 of 55
toniarwren
New Visitor

Can someone please please help me! I just stumbled across this and I really need to get some credit.Really didn't want to get back into credit card debt but I have 5 grown children and their spouses and 10 grandchildren (1 I adopted & 2 I took custody of) that I need desperately to buy Christmas for and 3 of these little ones totally depend on me. My income is limited and I really need someone to email or text me please please and tell me the steps of the shopping cart trick and what can I do to get credit at all of these places as well so I can finally get Christmas taken care of and rest a little knowing at least the little ones will get something. I will be so ever much grateful to anyone that will help me. TY  [Mod Cut]

Mod cut to remove personal information ~Lexie, myFICO Moderator

Message 44 of 55
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@toniarwren wrote:

Can someone please please help me! I just stumbled across this and I really need to get some credit.Really didn't want to get back into credit card debt but I have 5 grown children and their spouses and 10 grandchildren (1 I adopted & 2 I took custody of) that I need desperately to buy Christmas for and 3 of these little ones totally depend on me. My income is limited and I really need someone to email or text me please please and tell me the steps of the shopping cart trick and what can I do to get credit at all of these places as well so I can finally get Christmas taken care of and rest a little knowing at least the little ones will get something. I will be so ever much grateful to anyone that will help me. TY  [Mod Cut]

Welcome to the forum.  The holiday season is indeed stressful and can be economically draining.  The  shopping cart trick is not a guarantee of approval and it may take time for the popup to even appear.  Without trying to judge, please be mindful for the reasons why you had credit card debt in the past.  Obtaining credit at 'all these places'  IMO is not wise.  

To that end, the steps are simple enough and can be found on this thread.  Again,there are no guarantees that the pop up will work for you ESP if there are serious credit issues. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Shopping-Cart-Trick/m-p/2144899/thread-id/597973

Message 45 of 55
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@toniarwren wrote:

Hello...welcome to the forum.  It's definitely admirable that you've stepped up to the plate for the kids.  However, the shopping cart trick might not be great for kids' gift shopping.   The stores that most commonly approve are clothing stores that don't really have kids' products (Victoria's Secret, Woman Within, J. Crew, etc) or home furnishings (Brylane Home).  

If you're looking to obtain new credit that could be used for kid's gifts, cards backed by GERCB are often able to be obtained by people with less than ideal credit.  They back the store card for Wal-Mart and Toys 'R Us.  You may consider applying in store for those, but I'm reluctant to recommend that without fully knowing your credit situation.  If you are willing to share any more info, we'd all be happy to give what advice we can. 

However, I can tell you this.  I can't remember what I got for Xmas when I was 5.  Or 10.  Or 20.  Or 30, even.  What I remember throughout every holiday was my mom's delicious food, my sister's smile, my dad's cognac and cigars, my brother telling funny stores, and us all driving around and seeing the lights.after the presents were opened on Xmas Eve.   You can give great memories at a low cost.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 46 of 55
ptilda
Established Contributor

Fingerhut might provide some goos stuff for kids as well.

I'm glad I found this. Will this work with Sportsman's Guide too? Anyone tried after activating the other cards? Same company, or no?

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 47 of 55
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ptilda wrote:

Fingerhut might provide some goos stuff for kids as well.

I'm glad I found this. Will this work with Sportsman's Guide too? Anyone tried after activating the other cards? Same company, or no?

Every Comenity card program is handled independently.  Approval for one of their CCs, whether via cold app or pre-approval, does not translate into an approval for another of their CCs.

From your other post/thread, gardening would be your best strategy for these to work eventually.

Message 48 of 55
Jensea

Is there a limit for how many you can do within a certain amount of time? I was going to make a purchase at VS and the offer popped up.. same thing happened this summer for QVC and the year before for HSN.  But I can't seem to get it to pop up for any others Cat Frustrated

Message 49 of 55
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Jensea wrote:

Is there a limit for how many you can do within a certain amount of time? I was going to make a purchase at VS and the offer popped up.. same thing happened this summer for QVC and the year before for HSN.  But I can't seem to get it to pop up for any others Cat Frustrated

I suppose you can try the "trick" until your fingers get tired of inputting the information over and over.  However, it can only be successful if your overall profile happens to be a match within their elegibility criteria amongst a few factors.

Message 50 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.