Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping Cart Trick (Soft Pull)

tag
Maximuss
New Contributor

Shopping Cart Trick (Soft Pull)

If I get the shopping cart trick to pop and I go through with the application lets say at J.Crew or Express, is the whole process a soft pull, or when you're taken to the application process do they need a hard pull to extend the credit? Also, does walmart offer the pre approval on their site. I can't get that one to pop. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

Re: Shopping Cart Trick (Soft Pull)

@Maximuss wrote:

If I get the shopping cart trick to pop and I go through with the application lets say at J.Crew or Express, is the whole process a soft pull, or when you're taken to the application process do they need a hard pull to extend the credit? Also, does walmart offer the pre approval on their site. I can't get that one to pop. Thanks in advance.

The whole process is a soft pull.  Walmart doesn't offer a preapproval.

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Message 2 of 16
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I have read where when you accept the card they do a hp so very much YMMV!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 16
Maximuss
New Contributor

Well I tried this fully expecting not to get anywhere specially since I tried for the Sportsman's Guide Visa. To my surprise I was approved for $2500.00 with a very thin file and a CA from 2.5 years ago. Even if it was a hard pull it was worth it to me. When you're rebuilding you take what you can get. I have a secured BofA and now this card. Just trying to decide if accepting the J Crew pre-approval that also popped for me is a good idea too to have 3 TL reporting or if I should stop here. Any suggestions? 

Message 4 of 16
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Maximuss wrote:

Well I tried this fully expecting not to get anywhere specially since I tried for the Sportsman's Guide Visa. To my surprise I was approved for $2500.00 with a very thin file and a CA from 2.5 years ago. Even if it was a hard pull it was worth it to me. When you're rebuilding you take what you can get. I have a secured BofA and now this card. Just trying to decide if accepting the J Crew pre-approval that also popped for me is a good idea too to have 3 TL reporting or if I should stop here. Any suggestions? 

Whoo! Hoo! Congrats! Definately worth a hp!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 16
Maximuss
New Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

@Maximuss wrote:

Thank you!!! Sure was nice to see approved on the screen.

Message 6 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

I have read where when you accept the card they do a hp so very much YMMV!

That would very much defeat the purpose of the shopping card trick, so if that happens, that is very much the exception.

Message 7 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Maximuss wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

@Maximuss wrote:

Yes, $2,500 is great.   My concern with the shopping cart approach is when people are getting tiny lines, and wrecking their AAoA, just to avoid HPs which go away anyway.

Message 8 of 16
Maximuss
New Contributor

It only asked for last 4 of SS. so I highly doubt it can be a HP. But I guess anything can happen. Regardless, I can't really complain.

Message 9 of 16
Maximuss
New Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Maximuss wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

@Maximuss wrote:

Yes, $2,500 is great.   My concern with the shopping cart approach is when people are getting tiny lines, and wrecking their AAoA, just to avoid HPs which go away anyway.

So you would advice against pulling the trigger on J Crew just to pad the file a little since it's pretty thin?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.